Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Midweek defeat in West London for Millwall

Our report from Fulham...

8 February 2022

Fulham defeated Millwall 3-0 in the Sky Bet Championship at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night.

Aleksandar Mitrovic's double put Fulham two up, before substitute Bobby De Cordova-Reid added the gloss late on.

Gary Rowett made one change for the trip to West London, with Alex Pearce coming in for the injured Scott Malone. Luke Freeman, meanwhile, stepped up to the bench as he sought a Lions debut.

The Lions started the brighter and fashioned a first chance with just two minutes on the clock, but after Oliver Burke's pace took him down the right-hand side, his deflected cross was dealt with by the Fulham defence.

On six minutes, Millwall were presented with a big chance, but after Mason Bennett found the onrushing Maikel Kieftenbeld with a cross, the midfielder's shot went over the crossbar.

Neco Williams, Neeskens Kebano and Benik Afobe all traded half-chances at either end as the half wore on, but on 29 minutes, the scoring was opened as Mitrovic had the simplest of tasks in firing home on the edge of the six-yard box after the ball had made its way across the box.

The tricky Fabio Carvalho tried his luck shortly after as the home side looked to double their lead, with two more chances coming for The Whites before the break as Tim Ream headed over before Tom Cairney's effort in first-half stoppage-time failed to trouble Bartosz Bialkowski.

The first chance of the second-half went to Millwall, but after skill from Murray Wallace allowed Shaun Hutchinson an effort, that attempt was blocked and cleared away.

Just five minutes after the restart, however, Fulham - and Mitrovic - had their second after the striker pounced on a rebound following a smart Bialkowski save.

Mitrovic and Bennett traded efforts as the half wore on, before the introduction of Jed Wallace breathed new life into Millwall, with the winger being at the thick end of Lions attacks, finding Afobe and Bennett, but neither could test Marek Rodak.

At the other end, Bialkowski had to stop from Kebano and Wilson, before a double chance went begging for Millwall on 69 minutes as firstly, Burke found Jed Wallace, only for his shot to be saved by Rodak, before Bennett sent the follow-up wide of the post.

Freeman stepped off the bench to make his debut with 13 minutes to play, but there was no further action until the 87th minute, as De Cordova-Reid was in the right place at the right time to tap home for Fulham's third.

Fulham: Rodak, Kebano (De Cordova-Reid 76'), Wilson, Mitrovic (Muniz 90+1'), Cairney (Reed 71'), Chalobah, Ream, Adarabioyo, Williams, Carvalho, Robinson. Subs not used: Gazzaniga, Hector, Cavaleiro, Seri.

Scorer: Mitrovic 29' 50'

Booking: Mitrovic

Millwall: Bialkowski, McNamara, M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Cooper, Kieftenbeld, Burke (Freeman 77'), Pearce (J. Wallace 57'), Bennett (Burey 77'), Afobe, B. Mitchell. Subs not used: Long, Saville, Mahoney, Evans.

Booking: Kieftenbeld, Hutchinson, Bennett

Referee: Matthew Donohue

Attendance: 16,606 (1,861)

Advertisement block