Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Millwall win at Pride Park

Our report from Derby...

23 February 2022

Millwall defeated Derby County 2-1 in the Sky Bet Championship at Pride Park on Wednesday night.

Jed Wallace gave The Lions the lead in just the second minute, before Tyler Burey scored for the second consecutive game on the half-hour mark to double the advantage.

Jake Cooper sliced a Colin-Kazim Richards cross into his own goal to reduce the arrears two minutes from time, but Millwall were able to hold on and claim all threee points and a third successive victory.

Gary Rowett opted to name the squad that was scheduled to take on Blackburn Rovers on Saturday afternoon, meaning George Saville and Burey came in for the injured Maikel Kieftenbeld and Oliver Burke, with Daniel Ballard, Zak Lovelace and Under 23s striker Tyrese Briscoe on the bench.

The game was barely more than 60 seconds old when the scoring was opened, as Jed Wallace's free-kick from the left-hand side evaded everyone before nestling into the back of the net, sparking wild celebrations amongst the travelling Lions fans.

Millwall continued on the front foot following that goal, with both Burey and Jed Wallace mounting attacks, whilst at the other end, Danny McNamara defended well as The Rams looked to restore parity.

Max Bird, Lee Buchanan and Louie Sibley all tried their luck as the half wore on, but on 24 minutes, The Lions' advantage should have doubled as Burey was played in by Jed Wallace, but he struck over from close-range.

Six minutes later, however, Burey received his reward as he showed anticipation to pounce on a loose ball and slam home Millwall's second and his second consecutive strike after fantastic work down the left-hand side from Mason Bennett.

Bartosz Bialkowski then had to save from Festy Ebosele as Derby looked to find a way back into the game, with Bennett wasting a chance to make it three at the other end shortly after as he shot tamely at Ryan Allsop.

Luke Plange had the first effort of the second-half, which began a large period of The Lions having to soak up large spells of Derby pressure in their search to force the ball over the line. However, Bialkowski remained largely untested - Nathan Byrne's free-kick, which hit the side-netting, the closest The Rams could come.

Jed Wallace went for goal from distance and Ravel Morrison nodded a Curtis Davies cross over as the minutes ticked on, with Bialkowski called into action eight minutes from time as he clawed away a corner from under his own crossbar.

With two minutes to play, though, Derby were able to halve the deficit as Cooper sliced a Kazim-Richards cross into his own goal, but The Lions were able to negotiate an extremely tricky period of injury-time to claim all three points.

Derby County: Allsop, Byrne, Bielik (Ebiowei 72'), Bird, Sibley (Kazim-Richards 46'), Buchanan, Davies, Ebosele (Morrison 46'), Knight, Cashin, Plange. Subs not used: Roos, Forsyth, Stearman, Thompson.

Scorer: Cooper og 88'

Millwall: Bialkowski, McNamara, M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Cooper, J. Wallace, Malone, Saville, Bennett (Lovelace 85'), B. Mitchell, Burey (Evans 85'). Subs not used: Long, Pearce, Mahoney, Ballard, Briscoe.

Scorer: J. Wallace 2', Burey 30'

Booking: Saville

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Attendance: 23,943 (514)

Advertisement block