Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stalemate in South Wales

Our report from Swansea...

15 September 2021

Swansea City and Millwall played out a goalless draw at the Stadium in the Sky Bet Championship on Wednesday night.

Gary Rowett made two changes for the trip to South Wales, with Tom Bradshaw and Mason Bennett coming into the side at the expense of Matt Smith and the ill Sheyi Ojo.

George Saville had the first half-chance of the night in the third minute, but his effort from the edge of the area was blocked.

Bradshaw, who worked hard all night, was then the next to try and breach the Swansea defence but could not find a way past Kyle Naughton, whilst at the other end, Daniel Ballard had to be on guard to block a shot from Joel Piroe.

Chances were few and far between until the midway point of the half, in which Murray Wallace quickly snuffed out the danger after Piroe and Ryan Manning combined, before Manning and Jamie Paterson had the best chances of a tepid first-half, namely the latter, but he got his effort from Ethan Laird's cross horribly wrong, with the ball sailing wide of the post.

Bartosz Bialkowski was called into action with just two minutes played in the second-half as the stopper had to save from Matt Grimes, before consecutive efforts from Jed Wallace and Billy Mitchell failed to trouble the Swansea goal.

Bradshaw and Bennett attempted to register on the scoresheet as the hour-mark came and went, with Piroe and Grimes also attempting to do so at the other end but to no avail. The Lions then lost Ballard to a facial injury with 20 minutes to play - Ryan Leonard his replacement.

Big chances were then traded at either end, as firstly, Swansea substitute Michael Obafemi's effort trickled just past the near post as he took Liam Walsh's pass in his stride, before a combination of Saville, Connor Mahoney and Scott Malone worked the ball into the box for Bradshaw, but his close-range effort was stopped by Ben Hamer.

Malone's driven effort and Jed Wallace's shot worked the goalkeeper but were stopped, before a 90th-minute free-kick looked dangerous for Millwall, but Bialkowski expertly extended a hand to palm the ball to safety from Walsh's powerful strike from the edge of the box.

There were chances for Saville and Jed Wallace during six minutes of injury-time, but referee John Busby blew time with the fixture ending goalless.

Swansea City: Hamer, R. Bennett, Manning, Downes, Cabango, Grimes, Ntcham (Obafemi 63'), Paterson (Walsh 69'), Piroe (Cullen 80'), Naughton, Laird. Subs not used: Benda, Fulton, Latibeaudiere, Bidwell.

Booked: R. Bennett, Downes

Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace, Cooper, Kieftenbeld, J. Wallace, Bradshaw (Smith 86'), Malone, Saville, M. Bennett (Mahoney 62'), B. Mitchell, Ballard (Leonard 70'). Subs not used: Long, Thompson, Pearce, Bodvarsson.

Booking: M. Wallace, Saville, Bradshaw

Referee: Mr John Busby

Attendance: 16,007 (262)

Advertisement block