Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

A point each in Nottingham

Our report from the City Ground...

25 September 2021

Nottingham Forest and Millwall drew 1-1 in the Sky Bet Championship at the City Ground on Saturday afternoon.

Matt Smith gave The Lions the lead in the first-half, but a fluke strike from Max Lowe ensured a share of the spoils after the break.

Gary Rowett made three changes from last Saturday's 1-1 draw at home to Coventry City, as Shaun Hutchinson, Sheyi Ojo and Connor Mahoney came into the XI at the expense of Jake Cooper, Tom Bradshaw and the unwell Jed Wallace.

The hosts, beginning their first game under the stewardship of Steve Cooper, started brightly and forced an early chance through Lewis Grabban, but Bartosz Bialkowski was equal to his effort after Djed Spence crossed.

After weathering the initial storm, The Lions began to gain a foothold in the game and began to pepper the Forest penalty area with crosses, namely from Ojo and Scott Malone, but the home defence remained firm.

That was, however, until the 32nd minute, when The Lions took the lead. After making space for himself to swing over a cross from the right-hand side, Ojo laid the ball on a plate for Smith to climb above Joe Worrall and head into the back of the net.

Now with their tails up, Millwall could have had a second just moments later, but after George Saville and Mahoney combined on the edge of the box, the winger's shot was blocked behind. Hutchinson then headed on to the roof of the net and Ojo teased the home side's defence with crosses once more as the first-half came to an end, but The Lions were unable to double their lead before the break.

In the second-half, The Lions started well, with Mahoney proving the most potent threat in an attacking sense, but his cross and free-kick were unable to be turned home six minutes after the restart.

With 52 minutes on the clock, though, Forest got themselves back on level terms after Lowe's freak effort - a cross which quickly turned into a shot - deceived Bialkowski and crashed into the net off the far post.

George Saville then shot tamely at Brice Samba, before Millwall whacked the woodwork as Smith's vicious effort from inside the box hit the crossbar and bounced to safety. Smith then forced Samba to save his header, before Millwall's defence had some work of their own to do, first blocking an attempt and then Bialkowski saving the follow-up.

Bradshaw replaced Smith with three minutes to play in a fourth substitution for The Lions - which they were permitted to make due to the home side using a concussion change in the first-half - but with no further clear-cut chances, Rowett's side had to make do with a point on the road.

Nottingham Forest: Samba, Spence, Figueiredo, Worrall, Grabban (Taylor 27'), Lowe, Johnson (Mighten 90'), Yates, Lolley (Zinckernagel 68'), Mckenna, Garner. Subs not used: Horvath, Colback, Carvalho, Bong.

Scorer: Lowe 52'

Booking: Figueiredo, Worrall

Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Kieftenbeld (Evans 79'), Smith (Bradshaw 87'), Malone, Ojo (B. Mitchell 79'), Saville, Leonard, Mahoney (Afobe 69'), Ballard. Subs not used: Long, Pearce, Cooper.

Scorer: Smith 32'

Booking: Kieftenbeld, Afobe, Ballard

Referee: Jeremy Simpson 

Attendance: 25,589 (1,284)

Advertisement block