Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Lions advance in FA Cup with Boreham Wood victory

Our report from Meadow Park...

9 January 2021

Goals from Kenneth Zohore and Shaun Hutchinson sent Millwall into the Fourth Round of the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday afternoon with a 2-0 win at Boreham Wood.

The Dane found the net in the first-half to open the scoring before Hutchinson powered home a header with 15 minutes remaining to seal a place in Monday night's draw.

Gary Rowett made numerous changes to his starting XI for the trip to Meadow Park, with the likes of Frank Fielding, Zohore, Danny McNamara, Troy Parrott and Tyler Burey all handed starting berths.

The hosts fashioned the first chance of the afternoon as Jake Cooper as incredibly booked for the first foul of the game, but that went wide of Fielding's far post. From there, The Lions took hold of proceedings and created two corner-kicks, but they came to nothing. Parrott then struck wide from distance in the fifth minute.

The Lions then broke away a minute later with Parrott feeding Burey, but the winger's first touch was heavy and the ball rolled into the arms of Nathan Ashmore. Zohore curled a free-kick wide as the Millwall pressure continued, but after Shaun Hutchinson sent an effort wide, Millwall had some defending of their own to do as Junior Morais shaped to shoot - an attempt which was dealt with by a block from Cooper.

Parrott cut inside to curl a shot inches wide with 20 minutes played, but five minutes later came perhaps The Lions' best chance to date - after good work from McNamara to close down the Boreham Wood defence, Burey's snapshot was well stopped by Ashmore.

Two shots from Ryan Leonard then had Ashmore scrambling as the half-hour mark came into view, and the first goal finally arrived on 31 minutes as Scott Malone broke into the penalty area and squared for Zohore to strike home.

Malone then sliced Burey's cross over as The Lions looked for more shortly after and before the break, with the first opportunity of the second-half going to The Wood, but Sorba Thomas' cross was cleared away by the Millwall defence.

Malone's deep corner found Cooper at the back post with 51 minutes on the clock, but his goal-bound header was well saved by Ashmore. Three minutes later a golden chance for a Boreham Wood equaliser was presented at the feet of Rhead, but he ballooned Morais' cross way over the crossbar.

Just after the hour-mark, Parrott slipped substitute Tom Bradshaw through on goal, but his effort went wide of the near post. With The Wood creeping back into the game, the killer second finally arrived 15 minutes from time as Hutchinson powered home Malone's corner.

With two assists to his name, Malone could have sealed his - and Millwall's - third involvement in front of goal two minutes later, but his vicious drive was parried to safety by Ashmore. The impressive McNamara then won the ball back for The Lions and allowed Woods to find an unmarked Parrott, but his first touch was poor and the ball was gathered by Ashmore.

McNamara, Leonard and substitute Matt Smith all had opportunities to further extend the lead as the last 10 minutes began, with Malone having a chance to cap his performance late on, but his effort went wide of the post. Ashmore - named Man of the Match for the home side - then saved well from Bradshaw deep into stoppage-time shortly before The Lions' place in the hat was confirmed.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesanmi, Stephens, Mafuta, Tshimanga (Coulthirst 79'), Murtagh (Mingoia 87', Fyfield, Thomas, Rhead (McDonnell 87'), K. Smith, Morais (Whitely 67'). Subs not used: Huddart, Woodards.

Booking: Fyfield, Ilesanmi, McDonnell

Millwall: Fielding, Hutchinson, Cooper, Zohore (Bodvarsson 61'), Malone, Pearce, Leonard, Woods (Thompson 88'), McNamara, Parrott (M. Smith 81'), Burey (Bradshaw 60'). Subs not used: Bialkowski, J. Wallace, Ferguson, Romeo, Bennett.

Scorer: Zohore 31', Hutchinson 75'

Booking: Cooper

Referee: Benjamin Speedie

Advertisement block