Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Lions lose in South Wales

Our report from Cardiff...

21 August 2021

Millwall were defeated 3-1 by Cardiff City in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Aden Flint's double put The Bluebirds 2-0 up, but Benik Afobe reduced the arrears with 14 minutes to go.

Scott Malone then hit the crossbar as it looked as though The Lions would get themselves back into the game, but they were to concede a third not long after as Sean Morrison ended the game as a contest.

Gary Rowett made one change for the trip to South Wales, with George Evans replacing the injured Ryan Leonard. Danny McNamara missed out also through injury, with Connor Mahoney taking his place on the bench.

The Bluebirds began the first-half by keeping hold of the ball, but were unable to penetrate The Lions' penalty area courtesy of a strong backline.

On seven minutes came the first chance of the game for Millwall, but after determination from Scott Malone saw the left-back feed Afobe, his effort was blocked behind.

Marlon Pack has the home side's first attempt of the game but he scuffed well wide of Bartosz Bialkowski's near post, before a big chance was presented Cardiff's way on 25 minutes, but Kieffer Moore could not make a full connection with the ball at the back post when unmarked, sending a shot wide.

Jed Wallace and Aden Flint traded half-chances as the clock made its way past the half-hour mark, before another Afobe effort was deflected behind by The Bluebirds' defence.

A minute before the half-time break, Moore clipped the crossbar after Tom Sang's trickery and cross allowed the frontman to head towards goal, but the ball went over.

Rubin Colwill sent the first chance of the second-half wide as both sides probed for the opening goal, and with Maikel Kieftenbeld and Jake Cooper trying their luck for The Lions it looked as though the breaking of the deadlock was getting closer - and on 66 minutes, it did arrive, but for the hosts, with Flint heading home in an unmarked position.

Four minutes later it was two, as Flint was allowed room to once again nod past Bialkowski from inside the area.

However, with 14 minutes to play, The Lions were able to reduce the arrears as Afobe chested the ball down and fired home for his second goal in as many games.

From there, Millwall were on top and looked good value for an equaliser - and it nearly came with 10 minutes remaining, but after the ball broke to Malone, the defender's effort cannoned off the crossbar before bouncing to safety.

But, three minutes later, the final nail in the coffin arrived as Morrison climbed highest to net.

There were chances at either end to extend the score from there, but referee James Linington blew time on a first away defeat of the campaign for The Lions shortly after.

Cardiff City: Phillips, Bagan, Morrison, Flint, Ralls, Moore, Nelson, Pack, Colwill (Bacuna 63'), Sang, Harris (Giles 63'). Subs not used: Smithies, Vaulks, Murphy, Collins, NG.

Scorer: Flint 66' 70', Morrison 83'

Booking: Flint, Nelson

Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace, Cooper (Mahoney 74'), Kieftenbeld, J. Wallace, Malone, Romeo, Saville, Afobe, Ballard, Evans (Smith 70'). Subs not used: Long, Thompson, Bradshaw, Pearce, B. Mitchell.

Scorer: Afobe 76'

Booking: Cooper

Referee: James Linington

Attendance: 18,168 (671)

Advertisement block