Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Away day joy for Millwall

Our report from Rotherham...

19 September 2020

Jed Wallace found the net as Millwall defeated Rotherham United in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon.

The attacker took advantage of a defensive lapse to round Rotherham goalkeeper Jamal Blackman and score the only goal of the game in the 50th minute at the AESSEAL New York Stadium.

Millwall boss Gary Rowett made three changes from last Saturday's goalless draw at home to Stoke City, with Ryan Woods, Mahlon Romeo and Tom Bradshaw coming in for Shaun Williams, Ben Thompson and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson - the former and latter taking their places on the bench.

The home side, determined to impress in their first home Sky Bet Championship outing, started the brighter and bombarded the Millwall penalty area with a number of crosses, but The Lions' defence stood strong.

In their fetching green and white away kit, Millwall forced a corner shortly after, but after that came to nothing, The Millers broke away with Kieran Sadlier sending over a teasing cross - however, fortunately, it was too long for Chiedozie Ogbene.

A dangerous corner nearly presented Rotherham with a chance to take the lead with 16 minutes played, but Alex Pearce blocked before Ogbene's follow-up was cleared by Bradshaw. From there, The Lions were then presented with a two-on-two chance, but Jed Wallace's pass was wasteful and the attack was put to bed.

The next opportunity went the way of the home side, but after Ogbene broke away down the right-hand side and crossed, Freddie Ladapo could not guide his effort into the far corner of the net. At the other end, meanwhile, Scott Malone curled a free-kick just over the crossbar after Millers captain Michael Ihiekwe brought down Mason Bennett on the edge of the box.

Rotherham continued to apply the pressure and Millwall continued to be resolute, with a final chance of the half going the way of the home side as Michael Smith couldn't direct his free header - from Wes Harding's cross - goalwards.

The words from the manager at half-time must have been strong - The Lions started the second half much the brighter and took the lead with 50 minutes on the clock, as a defensive lapse allowed Jed Wallace to capitalise, rounding Jamal Blackman before slotting into an empty net.

It was turning into a game of two halves from there, with The Lions now on top and Rotherham struggling to cope, and a bouncing ball inside the area on 59 minutes allowed goalscorer Wallace with a chance to double his and Millwall's tally, but he struck wide of the near post.

However, just after the hour mark came an attempt from Rotherham which could have ended with the equaliser, but Bartosz Bialkowski saved well from Angus MacDonald's header. A few minutes later, Bialkowski had to scramble to his far post to claw away a Joe Mattock effort, before The Lions had to block a George Hirst shot and Shaun Hutchinson had to head away from under his own crossbar.

A quick burst down the right allowed Jed Wallace to fizz a shot over the bar as the final 15 minutes got underway - a period of Rotherham dominance followed, but Millwall's defence stood firm to claim three points on the road.

Rotherham United: Blackman, Mattock, S. MacDonald, Ladapo (Hirst 65'), Ogbene, Lindsay (Crooks 76'), Sadlier (Wiles 66'), Harding, Ihiekwe, A. MacDonald, Michael Smith. Subs not used: Johansson, Wood, Vassell, Miller.

Booking: Ihiekwe

Millwall: Bialkowski, Hutchinson, Cooper, J. Wallace, Bradshaw, Romeo (Williams 74'), Malone (M. Wallace 74'), Pearce, Leonard, Woods, Bennett (Matt Smith 82'). Subs not used: Wright, Ferguson, Mahoney, Bodvarsson.

Scorer: J. Wallace 50'

Booking: Malone, M. Wallace

Referee: Lee Doughty

Advertisement block