Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

All square at The Den

Lions v Swans...

30 June 2020

Millwall and Swansea City played out a 1-1 draw in the Sky Bet Championship at The Den on Tuesday evening.

Mason Bennett gave The Lions a first-half lead, but Rhian Brewster's free-kick - given as a Bartosz Bialkowski own-goal - levelled proceedings on 66 minutes.

Gary Rowett made one change for the visit of The Swans, as Ryan Woods replaced Jayson Molumby, who dropped to the bench.

Just five minutes in, Rhian Brewster fell under the close attentions of Shaun Hutchinson whilst charging towards the penalty area, but referee James Linington deemed the challenge of the defender worthy of just a yellow card.

A couple of pile-ons inside the Millwall penalty area led to no further fouls being given, before The Lions started to make ground on the Swansea goal with 10 minutes played - Mahlon Romeo's cross could only be poked into the hands of Freddie Woodman by Jed Wallace, though.

Conor Gallagher's shot took a wicked deflection before whistling past the far post five minutes later, with Romeo's powerful drive going just wide at the other end on 17 minutes. A deep Jed Wallace free-kick then found his namesake Murray, but he headed wide.

On 21 minutes, with the game finely poised, The Lions took the lead. Romeo won the ball, with the play making its way out to Jed Wallace - his attempt to square was blocked first time, but at the second attempt he found the onrushing Bennett, who smashed home the opening goal and his first for the club.

The maraudering Hutchinson then nearly set up a chance for a second, but Jed Wallace's return ball was too quick and rolled out of play. The Swans then perhaps should have equalised with 28 minutes on the clock, but as Brewster's shot looked destined for the net, Jake Cooper was there to make an expert goal-line clearance.

Woods' through-ball was just too long for Tom Bradshaw on the half-hour mark, before a superb spell of football allowed Shane Ferguson to find Jed Wallace - he rounded the goalkeeper, but a Swansea defender was there to stop a second goal being scored.

Neat play by Romeo and Jed Wallace allowed the former a chance to break into the box just two minutes before the break, but his cross was blocked behind. There was one more chance before the half-time break, but Ferguson's deep corner was claimed by Woodman.

Bennett's evening was cut short at half-time due to a knock he received during the first-half - he was replaced by Connor Mahoney - with the first action of the second-half coming through Ferguson's teasing cross, but Romeo was unable to steer the ball into the net.

Gallagher then worked Bartosz Bialkowski, who had to parry the attacker's curling effort behind, before Hutchinson's free-kick was nodded on by Cooper and into the six-yard box, but the Swansea defence were able to scramble the ball out for a corner-kick.

Mahoney's deflected effort then dipped just over the crossbar, with Gallagher firing wide at the other end. A short-corner routine was then worked between Ferguson and Jed Wallace, but the former curled an attempt well over the crossbar.

Swansea substitute Bersant Celina's through-ball was cut out by Hutchinson at the vital moment, before another Celina piece of attacking - this time a shot from the edge of the penalty area - was charged down. On 66 minutes, however, came the equaliser as Brewster's free-kick struck the bar before hitting Bialkowski and the back of the net.

The visitors were now on top, but it was The Lions who had the next chance to score; Bradshaw was brought down on the edge of the box, but referee Linington was unmoved.

Still Millwall came forward, but as the two Wallace's combined, Jed's corner was glanced behind by the unmarked Murray. Woods was then teed up around 25 yards out but shot well wide, before a clutch of heads went up, only to see the ball hit the post from Jed Wallace's corner.

It was The Lions making the late chances, with two crosses coming into the box, but a teasing ball late on from Gallagher at the other end almost caused problems before bouncing behind. Substitute Matt Smith's shirt was pulled inside the box during injury-time but once more Linington was unmoved, and despite a late flurry at both ends, neither side could find the winner.

Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Bradshaw (Smith 85'), Ferguson, Romeo, Woods, Bennett (Mahoney 46'). Subs not used: Steele, Thompson, Pearce, Molumby, Leonard, Skalak, Mitchell.

Scorer: Bennett 21'

Booking: M. Wallace

Swansea City: Woodman, Grimes, Brewster, Wilmot (Guehi 83'), Dhanda (Celina 59'), Ayew, Bidwell, Naughton, Byers, Gallagher, Cabango. Subs not used: Mulder, Fulton, Dyer, Routledge, Kalulu, Roberts, Cullen.

Scorer: Bialkowski og 66'

Booking: Byers

Referee: James Linington

Advertisement block