Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stalemate in Sheffield

Saturday afternoon at Hillsborough...

1 February 2020

Sheffield Wednesday and Millwall drew 0-0 in the Sky Bet Championship at Hillsborough on Saturday afternoon.

In a game of many chances, neither side could find a way through, with both settling for a point.

Gary Rowett made three changes from the side which narrowly lost to Leeds United on Tuesday night, with Shaun Williams - returning from suspension - Matt Smith and Shane Ferguson replacing Alex Pearce, Jayson Molumby and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson.

The ball became bogged down in midfield as the game got underway, but on four minutes the first chance went the way of Millwall - Williams, however, dragged his shot well wide.

Millwall were penning Sheffield Wednesday back as the first 10 minutes elapsed but could not find a way through to goal - Tom Bradshaw, Smith, Jed Wallace and Ferguson all had half-chances but the score remained goalless.

Rowett's outfit had started strongly and on 18 minutes could have been in the clear, but as Jed Wallace raced away, Ferguson's pass to the winger lacked conviction and was cleared up by The Owls' defence.

At the other end it was Kadeem Harris who was attempting to make things happen for the home side - his cross was nodded away by Shaun Hutchinson before he set up Moses Odubajo a minute later, but the defender struck wide.

Two Wednesday efforts were then blocked - Harris' by Mahlon Romeo and Barry Bannan's by Ryan Woods - before a short-corner rountine nearly caught The Lions' back-line out; Bartosz Bialkowski gathered, though.

When Millwall were attacking the Sheffield defence were panicking, and another turnover in possession nearly led to a Lions opener on 34 minutes, but Romeo's shot fizzed just over the crossbar. Reach then set himself up for a familiarly spectacular strike but the ball rolled wide.

Three minutes before the break came perhaps the best chance of the game so far, but Reach could not direct his header from Harris' cross into the net, whilst another turnover set Jed Wallace and Bradshaw into a two-on-two situation as the first-half came to a close but Wednesday averted any danger.

Bannan swung a teasing cross into the Millwall penalty area five minutes into the second-half but Bialkowski claimed, with Dominic Iorfa perhaps lucky to only see yellow shortly after he took a swipe at Williams from behind and got nowhere near the ball.

There was a moment of controversy on 63 minutes as Iorfa - on a yellow card - brought down the onrushing substitute Bodvarsson on the edge of the penalty area, but referee David Coote was unmoved. Iorfa then nearly had an instant impact at the other end but his effort flashed wide of the post.

Another substitute, Connor Mahoney, did well to cross five minutes later, but Jake Cooper could only direct his header into the arms of Cameron Dawson. A quick free-kick then caught the Millwall defence cold but Bannan shot wide, before Mahoney did well to beat his man and cross for Bradshaw, however the Wednesday defence scrambled clear.

Fernando Forestieri and Hutchinson then both failed to find the net as a game of so near, yet so far, continued, but there was one more chance - and it fell to The Lions - as Bodvarsson broke free, but his lob went well over.

Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, Harris (Forestieri 56'), Pelupessy, Bannan, Borner, Murphy (Da Cruz 67'), Nuhiu, Reach, Odubajo, Iorfa. Subs not used: Wildsmith, Winnall, Lees, Hunt, Urhoghide.

Booking: Reach, Bannan, Iorfa, Borner

Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Bradshaw (Molumby 79'), Smith (Bodvarsson 61'), Ferguson (Mahoney 61'), Romeo, Woods. Subs not used: Steele, Pearce, O'Brien, Skalak.

Booking: Williams, J. Wallace, Cooper

Referee: David Coote

Attendance: 23,052 (1,248)

Advertisement block