Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Points shared in Huddersfield

Our take on the action from the John Smith's Stadium...

28 September 2019

Huddersfield Town and Millwall played out a 1-1 draw at the John Smith's Stadium in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon.

Frazier Campbell gave Huddersfield the lead in the first-half, but shortly before the break, Matt Smith equalised after an error from Town goalkeeper Kamil Grabara for his third goal of the campaign.

Shane Ferguson was sent off with 10 minutes remaining for a second bookable offence.

Neil Harris made five changes from the side which lost to Queens Park Rangers at The Den last weekend, with Shaun Williams, Mahlon Romeo, Ryan Leonard, Connor Mahoney and Aiden O'Brien coming into the side at the expense of Ben Thompson, the injured Jason McCarthy, Jayson Molumby, Shaun Hutchinson and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson.

Meanwhile, youngster Tyler Burey was named among the substitutes.

The home side began on the front foot without trouble Bartosz Bialkowski, with the first half-chance of the game going the way of Millwall - O'Brien, however, shot over the bar after controlling Jed Wallace's cross. Karlan Grant then struck from distance for Huddersfield, but the ball was claimed by Bialkowski.

The Lions then had a corner-kick with eight minutes on the clock, but after Leonard - on his 50th appearance for Millwall - swung the ball into the box, Smith nodded over the crossbar. The striker then had a chance to beat Town goalkeeper Grabara to the ball, but the stopper slid on the wet surface to clear to safety.

The game was end-to-end in the early stages, and after Trevoh Chalobah's header was saved at one end, a combination of Jed Wallace and Williams could not turn the ball into the net at the other. The former then lost possession and allowed The Terriers to bear down on goal, but a burst of pace from the winger meant he caught up and redeemed himself.

Midway through the first-half Jed Wallace broke away, but after a run from inside his own half, his right-footed curler shaved the outside of the post and went wide. That proved to be a pivotal moment in the game, as on 24 minutes, Campbell's first-time effort gave Bialkowski no chance to give the home side the lead.

With the crowd behind them, Huddersfield were now in the ascendancy and had further chances to take the lead - goalscorer Campbell's header, which flew just over the crossbar, the best of them.

Five minutes from the end of the half, Leonard unleashed a superb effort towards the top corner from 30 yards out, but Grabara produced a stunning save to turn the ball behind. From the resulting corner, though, the stopper turned from hero to zero, as he dropped the ball at the feet of Smith, who turned home from a couple of yards out.

Leonard robbed the Huddersfield midfield of possession as the half came to a close, but his effort was wild, when perhaps the correct pass would've been out wide to the unmarked Mahoney.

Ten minutes into the second-half, a Connor Mahoney free-kick evaded everybody - including 'keeper Grabara - but dropped over the top of the crossbar. At the opposite end, Grant then tried his luck from outside the penalty area, but likewise, the ball sailed over.

Huddersfield were incensed shortly after the hour-mark after Grant tumbled in the box and no penalty was given, before substitute Adama Diakhaby was the second to fall in the area just minutes later following Jake Cooper's close attention - referee Jeremy Simpson, however, was again unmoved.

As the last 15 minutes approached, the game was becoming stretched and gaps were appearing with both sides looking for the crucial third goal in the game - and five minutes later, The Lions were reduced to 10 as Ferguson was given a second yellow card after bringing down Diakhaby on the edge of the penalty area.

Murray Wallace was introduced for Smith with seven minutes remaining following the red card, with Thompson also appearing late on in place of Mahoney - The Terriers pushed for a late winner, with Jaden Brown firing wide in the 90th minute, but after six agonising minutes of stoppage-time, referee Simpson blew for full-time.

Huddersfield Town: Grabara, Elphick, Hogg, Chalobah, Kachunga (Diakhaby 57'), Grant, Simpson, Campbell, Schindler, Brown, L. O'Brien (Bacuna 76'). Subs not used: Schofield, Mbenza, Mounie, Stankovic, Hadergjonaj.

Scorer: Campbell 24'

Millwall: Bialkowski, Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Smith (M. Wallace 83'), Ferguson, Romeo, Pearce, Leonard, Mahoney (Thompson 86'), A. O'Brien (Bradshaw 64'). Subs not used: Steele, Hutchinson, Molumby, Burey.

Scorer: Smith 41'

Booking: Ferguson

Sent Off: Ferguson

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Attendance: 20,781 (871)

Advertisement block