Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Rampant Lions beat Coventry at The Den

Professional Development League action...

10 October 2019

Millwall's Under 23s were comfortable 4-1 victors over Coventry City at The Den in the Professional Development League on Thursday afternoon.

George Alexander opened the scoring for Millwall, before a six-minute blitz saw three goals scored and the game put to bed - Jayden Davies, Alexander again and Sam Skeffington all on target with impressive efforts.

David Bremang notched Coventry's only goal of the game in the second-half from the penalty spot.

Under 23s manager Kevin Nugent opted to field Luke Steele in goal, with usual suspects such as Junior Tiensia, Billy Mitchell - skippering the side - and Alexander also in the starting XI.

Six minutes in, Millwall were presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead, but after Tyler Burey's cross found the unmarked Alexander, the striker completely missed his swipe at the ball, with it then being cleared to safety by the Coventry defence. Dan Moss then nodded wide from Reuben Duncan's corner-kick shortly after.

Burey and Alexander again looked to combine with 15 minutes on the clock, but the striker's effort ballooned over the crossbar.

With 20 minutes on the clock, Coventry had their first attempt on goal, but Steele stood tall to deny Jordan Young from the edge of the six-yard box.

Four minutes later, The Lions were in front. A quick break down Millwall's left-hand side saw Tiensia cross for Duncan - his poke at goal looked to be creeping just wide, but there was Alexander to slide home from close range for another strike for the Under 23s.

On 36 minutes, the lead was doubled - and in some style. After Davis beat two men, he carried the ball to the edge of the six-yard box and unleashed an unstoppable strike into the roof of the net.

Just four minutes after that, it was three - and, again, in spectacular fashion. After captain Mitchell's pass was kept in play by Tiensia, a burst of pace and perfect cross was headed home by Alexander for his second of the afternoon.

The goals kept coming; Skeffington added a fourth on 42 minutes after his strike from 30 yards was parried into the net by Coventry 'keeper Cian Tyler.

The second-half was 17 minutes old before any chance of note arose, and it went the way of the visitors, but Steele was equal to Thai Duggan's effort. Coventry were then presented with a chance to register on the scoresheet from the penalty spot after Dan Moss brought down Bremang - although the foul looked to be outside the box - with the striker dusting himself down to send Steele the wrong way.

There were 69 minutes played when Isaac Olaofe - making his way back after a long-term injury - crossed for Burey, but the ball was just too high and did not allow the winger to make a proper connection with his head.

With the game long in the bag, the last 20 minutes were played out with relative ease by Nugent's side, with the unbeaten home record remaining intact.

Millwall: Steele, Moss, Tiensia, B. Mitchell, Topalloj, Strachan, Burey, Skeffington, Alexander, Duncan, Davies (Olaofe 66'). Subs not used: Muller, Wright, O'Brien, A. Mitchell.

Scorer: Alexander 24' 40', Davis 36', Skeffington 42'

Booking: B. Mitchell

Coventry City: Tyler, Rowe, Williams, Drysdale, Newton, Maycock, Young, Nightingale, Bremang, Duggan, Ncamdu. Subs not used: Ward, Billson, Purves, Nee.

Scorer: Bremang 65' pen

Booking: Rowe, Bremang, Maycock

Referee: Mr. M. Buonassisi

Advertisement block