Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Honours even at The Den

Our take on Tuesday night's match

26 November 2019

Millwall and Wigan Athletic shared four goals in the Sky Bet Championship on Tuesday night as the two sides drew 2-2 at The Den.

Anthony Pilkington gave The Latics an early lead on a mild night in South London, but Shaun Hutchinson powered home the equaliser just after the midway point of the first-half.

Antonee Robinson put Wigan back in front early in the second-half, though, before Matt Smith stepped off the bench to equalise and ensure a share of the spoils.

Gary Rowett made two changes from the side that defeated Swansea City on Saturday afternoon, with Jayson Molumby - returning from injury - and Tom Bradshaw replacing Alex Pearce and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, who both dropped to the bench.

Just three minutes in, Wigan took the lead. In the first real attack of the game, a long ball was knocked down by Kieffer Moore and into the path of Pilkington, who smashed home the opening goal of the game.

Five minutes later, Millwall were once again unable to control the aerial ability of Moore, with another long ball pumped into his path and flicked on to the onrushing Pilkington, however, fortunately, this time the ball rolled wide of the post.

The Lions were struggling to mount an attack as the midway point of the first-half approached, and with the potent attack of Moore and Jamal Lowe, The Latics were looking the more likely to score the next goal of the game. Millwall's first real go at goal came in the 22nd minute, but after Ben Thompson crossed, Connor Mahoney fluffed his lines from just outside the six-yard box.

A small bit of pressure was all The Lions needed to make the Wigan defence wobble, and on 24 minutes, after winning a corner-kick, they were level; Jed Wallace swinging over a deep kick that was powered home by the head of Hutchinson.

Joe Garner was the next to try his luck for Wigan, before a yellow card was shown - not on the pitch, but to Latics manager Paul Cook by referee Dean Whitestone.

Seven minutes from time Wigan nearly nudged themselves back in front, but this time, after the combination of Pilkington and Moore combined the other way round, Bartosz Bialkowski was in the right place to stop the effort from creeping in.

Mahoney's free-kick was headed towards goal by Murray Wallace as the final five minutes of the half got underway, before Jed Wallace was perhaps caught in two minds when he broke away from the Wigan defence, half crossing and half shooting as the ball rolled wide.

Pilkington had the first attempt of the second-half but got it horribly wrong, but with 56 minutes on the clock, The Latics were back in front as Robinson squeezed home an effort from an acute angle.

Jed Wallace then saw off his marker with ease but found his cross blocked as The Lions looked to restore parity once again, but they did so just a minute later as substitute Smith was allowed time to pick a spot from Shaun Williams' header to nod home.

Pilkington and Romeo traded blows from distance as both sides probed for a fifth goal of the evening, with Hutchinson then glancing a Jed Wallace corner over the bar with 20 minutes remaining.

Garner was the next man to fire at goal as the last 10 minutes loomed, but Bialkowski was well placed to claim, before Lowe's teasing cross stood up for Hutchinson to head off the line. Robinson then attempted to double his tally for the evening but found the fans behind the goal.

Lewis Macleod then volleyed at Bialkowski from outside the area as Wigan were enjoying a small spell in front of goal in the closing stages as the game became stretched, but despite four minutes of stoppage-time, neither side could find the winning goal.

Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Thompson (Skalak 79'), Bradshaw (O'Brien 86'), Romeo, Molumby, Mahoney (Smith 46'). Subs not used: Steele, Pearce, Brown, Bodvarsson.

Scorer: Hutchinson 24', Smith 60'

Booking: Hutchinson, Romeo

Wigan Athletic: Marshall, Robinson, Macleod, Morsy, Pilkington (Kipre 67'), Lowe, Garner (Windass 86'), Sterling, Mulgrew, Moore (Massey 76'), Dunkley. Subs not used: Jones, Jacobs, Naismith, Gelhardt.

Scorer: Pilkington 3', Robinson 56'

Booking: Macleod

Referee: Dean Whitestone

Attendance: 10,021 (165)

Advertisement block