Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Four-some Lions open pre-season with win

Our take on Millwall's first friendly...

6 July 2019

Two goals in two second-half minutes eased Millwall on the way to a 4-0 pre-season friendly victory over Concord Rangers at the Aspect Arena on Saturday afternoon.

Shaun Williams opened the scoring for The Lions shortly after the half-hour mark, with Ben Thompson and Reuben Duncan striking within 60 seconds of each other in the second-half to secure the victory. 

Fred Onyedinma added the gloss in the last minute.

Neil Harris opted to field two different XI's in each half, with summer signings Frank Fielding, Matt Smith and Alex Pearce all featuring in the opening 45 minutes.

Murray Wallace and Shaun Hutchinson, both returning from injury, took their places in the second-half XI alongside new Under 23 recruit Tyler Burey.

Just two minutes in, The Lions' new strike partnership of Bradshaw and Smith combined, but the former's cross was headed on to the crossbar by the latter - Smith then nodded wide just seconds later.

Millwall predictably dominated the opening stages on a warm afternoon in Essex, but bar Smith's chance and Jed Wallace's powerful cross - which was tipped away by Chris Haigh - they failed to trouble the Concord goal.

Smith then found the arms of Haigh, before Bradshaw looked to be in on goal, only to be denied by an expert tackle from Quba Gordon. Concord's first effort on goal came from Decarrey Sheriff, meanwhile, but his shot was deflected into the arms of Fielding. A smart set-piece then allowed Aron Pollock an effort on goal, but it crept wide.

The Lions took the lead in the 33rd minute. Smith's flick-on found Jed Wallace, who in turn sent over a cross, dummied by Bradshaw, for Williams to fire home low to Haigh's right.

After Jed Wallace's teasing cross could just not be reached by Smith, Concord looked to equalised through Joel Nouble, but Fielding was equal to his effort. Bradshaw then found himself in space inside the penalty area, but blazed over.

Tom Elliott lasted just 10 minutes of the second-half before having to withdraw through injury, before The Lions forced a trio of corner-kicks after the hour-mark, but to no avail.

With 18 minutes remaining, Millwall's lead was doubled. The lively Burey carried the ball forward and after his cross was cleared, Mahlon Romeo found space to fire the ball in for the awaiting Thompson to smash home from around 12 yards out.

Barely a minute later, it was three. Ryan Leonard created an opportunity to cross on the right-hand side, where youngster Duncan was waiting at the back post to head past a helpless Dan Confrey.

As the clock struck 90 minutes, Millwall added a fourth as Burey crossed for Oneydinma to head home.

The Lions will now return to Calmont Road before heading out to Portugal for their annual training camp next week.

Concord Rangers First-Half: Haigh, Olufemi, Hurford, Blanchfield, Gordon, Pollock, Green, Kreshniqi, Nouble, Gardner, Sheriff.

Concord Rangers Second-Half: Confrey, Olufemi, Hurford, Carter, Roast, Gordon, Cundle, Beale, Hunt, Moncur, Reynolds.

Subs: Sims, Brown, Miller, Harris.

Millwall First-Half: Fielding, Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Bradshaw, Smith, Pearce, McNamara, Skalak, Tiensia, Mitchell.

Millwall Second-Half: Sandford, M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Thompson, Romeo, Onyedinma, Leonard, Elliott (Duncan 55'), Burey, Ransom, Skeffington.

Subs not used: Wright, Debrah.

Scorer: Williams 33', Thompson 72', Duncan 73', Onyedinma 90'

Advertisement block