Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Super-sub Shane sends Lions through to Round Four

Emirates FA Cup at The Den...

6 January 2019

Super-sub Shane Ferguson stepped off the bench to fire Millwall to Emirates FA Cup glory over Hull City at The Den on Sunday afternoon.

Jon Toral gave The Tigers the lead early into the second-half, but the Northern Irishman scored two goals in three minutes late on to give Millwall a fourth win in a row, sending them through to Monday night's Fourth Round draw in the process.

Millwall boss Neil Harris made two changes from the New Year's Day win at Ipswich Town, as Alex Pearce came in for his Lions debut in place of James Meredith, whilst Jiri Skalak was handed a start instead of Ferguson.

The Lions started brightly and fashioned half chances through Skalak and Jed Wallace, but whilst the former failed to control the ball inside the penalty area, the latter's vicious cross was eventually cleared away from danger.

Millwall were on top in the opening stages but failed to trouble George Long in the Hull goal - Ryan Tunnicliffe's through-ball almost reaching the onrushing Mahlon Romeo the closest they came in the first 10 minutes. Murray Wallace's long ball was flicked on by Aiden O'Brien and into the path of Skalak on 14 minutes, but despite the winger's neat control, the ball was struck out of play by the Hull defence.

The Tigers began to threaten going forward around the midway point of the half, but the next opportunity fell at the feet of O'Brien with 27 minutes on the clock - he fired Tom Elliott's knockdown wide, though.

The Irishman was presented with The Lions' best chance of the game on the half-hour mark, but after a scramble inside the box following a corner-kick, his header from close range was saved by Long. At the other end, Todd Kane forced Jordan Archer into a first save of the game after he connected with a cross at the back post.

Murray Wallace's cross caused chaos in the box once more a minute later, but after Jed Wallace fired back across goal, a combination of Tunnicliffe and Elliott somehow failed to turn the ball home, with it instead nestling in the grateful grasp of Long. The chances kept coming for Millwall and on 37 minutes O'Brien could have opened the scoring, but he flicked Jed Wallace's cross into the side-netting.

Seven minutes into the second-half, Hull were in front. Toral fed Nouha Dicko, who in turn crossed for the midfielder to slide home the opening goal of the afternoon. The Tigers then looked to double their lead, but Dicko headed Eric Lichaj's cross over.

The Lions looked to respond, with O'Brien darting between two defenders to meet Jed Wallace's cross, however, the Irishman's poke at goal was saved. Jed Wallace then flashed a shot over the bar, before Harris introduced three substitutes into the game at once - Steve Morison, Ferguson and the returning Shaun Williams.

The Northern Irishman was immediately involved, swinging over a cross that Long had to tip behind from under his own crossbar, before a Jake Cooper header hit the side-netting with 20 minutes remaining.

Jed Wallace's deflected shot was gratefully accepted by Long with 74 minutes on the clock, whilst Williams tried his luck from distance three minutes later but failed to trouble the stopper. Just 11 minutes from time The Lions came the closest they could possibly come to scoring, as O'Brien cracked the crossbar from Morison's cross.

Eight minutes from time, Millwall got back on level terms in classy circumstances. A short corner was worked between Ferguson and Jed Wallace, with the former cutting inside to curl a delightful effort home to make the score 1-1.

Then, with a replay looming, the winger slotted home a free-kick beyond the reach of Long to put Millwall in front.

Late on, Elliott could have sealed the victory, but with Long way outside his goal, the striker dallied on the ball and lost it. In the final seconds the frontman could have scored again, but a melee ended with the ball going wide.

Millwall: Archer, Cooper, J. Wallace, Romeo, Pearce, Tunnicliffe (Morison 63'), Elliott, O'Brien, M. Wallace (Williams 63'), Skalak (Ferguson 64'), Leonard. Subs not used: Martin, Meredith, Brown, White.

Scorer: Ferguson 82' 85'

Hull City: Long, Lichaj, Mazuch, Stewart, Dicko (Lewis-Potter 80'), Toral (Sheaf 75'), Milinkovic, Kane, Batty, McKenzie, Martin. Subs not used: Marshall, Burke, Evandro, Fleming, Ritson.

Scorer: Toral 52'

Booking: Mazuch, Batty

Referee: Andy Woolmer

Attendance: 5,307 (458)

Advertisement block