Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Murray Wallace "over the moon" to bag Cup winner

Read from the man of the moment...

27 January 2019

Saturday evening's televised Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round tie between Millwall and Everton at The Den was seconds away from heading for a Goodison Park replay - that was until Murray Wallace scored a 94th minute winner in front of the Cold Blow Lane end.

The Lions defeated their Premier League opponents 3-2 in a topsy-turvy encounter, advancing to the Fifth Round and sealing yet another victory over top-tier opposition on their own patch in the process.

Richarlison gave Everton the lead two minutes before the half-time break, but Lee Gregory rose superbly to head home and level the scores in first-half stoppage-time.

Cenk Tosun stepped off the bench to nudge The Toffees back in front with 18 minutes remaining, but just three minutes later, The Lions were level through Jake Cooper.

The Scot then latched on to Shaun Hutchinson's knock-down to fire home the winner four minutes into the signalled four of second-half injury-time, sending three sides of The Den into pandemonium.

"I'm buzzing, just like the rest of the lads," the left-back told shortly after the final whistle. "I didn't know what to do when I scored, I think I need to work on my celebrations!

"I'm over the moon to score the winner against a Premier League team, in front of such a big crowd. It's amazing."

A positive factor in Millwall's season has been their ability to come from behind in games; the Third Round success over Hull City being a prime example. Despite having the lead twice in the game, Marco Silva's men were in front for only seven minutes - and Wallace says that is down to a "never-say-never attitude."

"It obviously helped with how responded so quickly, with Gregs nodding one into the back of the net just before half-time. I think it's the character we've got - we have a never-say-never attitude, and if we do go one goal down, we know we can always get back into the game."

Neil Harris' message at half-time was for his side to "have a right go", and that they did in the second 45 minutes, with defenders Cooper and Wallace finding the net to hand Millwall victory.

"The message at half-time was how important that goal was to get us back in it. The manager said the crowd would be buzzing with it and that they would get right behind us, so let's have a right go. I think we did. I don't think we dominated the game with possession or anything like that, but from set-pieces we looked a real threat.

"When it got to 2-2, we didn't really know which way the game was going to go. We didn't feel like we were going to lose it, but I didn't know if we were going to be able to put them under enough pressure to get over the line and give ourselves a chance to score."

Advertisement block