Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late show condemns Lions to defeat

Sky clash at The Den...

12 January 2019

Two late goals in two minutes condemned Millwall to defeat at The Den on Saturday evening in the Sky Bet Championship as Blackburn Rovers won a scrappy contest 2-0.

In an affair that lacked quality, action and chances, a fortunate goal from Joe Nuttall gave Rovers the lead, before a strike from substitute Adam Armstrong secured all three points for the visitors just one minute later.

Millwall boss Neil Harris made three changes from the XI that started last Sunday Emirates FA Cup Third Round tie with Hull City, as James Meredith, Shaun Hutchinson - returning from injury - and Shane Ferguson replaced Murray Wallace, Alex Pearce and Jiri Skalak.

Lee Gregory, meanwhile, took his place on the substitute's bench alongside Ben Thompson.

In the first action of the game Tom Elliott challenged for a header, but suffered what appeared to be a arm injury, forcing him off the field - Steve Morison his replacement.

Despite a lively Saturday evening atmosphere inside The Den, action and chances on the pitch were few and far between inside the first 15 minutes. The first chance of the match came in the 22nd minute as Morison's quick-thinking from a throw-in set Jed Wallace away down the right-hand side, but his cross was poor and evaded everyone.

The biggest talking point of the opening half came at the halfway mark as, for the second time this season, the referee had to withdraw through injury - he was replaced by Fourth Official Gavin Ward.

On 38 minutes, in a lacklustre first-half, Jake Cooper headed wide from Ryan Leonard's corner-kick. A superb backheel from Morison allowed Ferguson a run fown the left-hand side as the half came to its conclusion, but the winger's cross was claimed by David Raya in the Blackburn goal.

Aiden O'Brien nodded wide as the second-half got underway, whilst on 58 minutes, Morison headed back across goal, but Leonard shot wide. Leonard then stung the palms of Raya on the hour-mark as the atmosphere inside The Den raised a notch once more.

Blackburn's first opportunity came in the 65th minute, but Jack Rodwell glanced a corner over the crossbar. Substitute Gregory teed up Mahlon Romeo with 12 minutes remaining at the other end, but the right-back's powerful drive was gathered by Raya.

Four minutes from time, Blackburn took the lead in the most fortunate of cirumstances. A ball across the box was struck against Nuttall, with the ball bouncing into the goal.

Just a minute later, a through-ball set Armstrong away, with the striker firing low into the bottom corner to double the lead.

Millwall: Archer, Meredith (Williams 87'), Hutchinson, Cooper, J. Wallace, Ferguson, Romeo, Tunnicliffe, Elliott (Morison 3'), O'Brien (Gregory 68'), Leonard. Subs not used: Martin, Thompson, Pearce, M. Wallace.

Blackburn Rovers: Raya, Reed, Rodwell, Bell, Dack (Armstrong 74'), Nuttall, Lenihan, Travis, Evans (Nyambe 46'), Bennett, Conway (Graham 64'). Subs not used: Leutwiler, Rothwell, Brereton, Butterworth.

Scorer: Nuttall 86', Armstrong 87'

Referee: Robert Jones (replaced by Gavin Ward)

Attendance: 13,862 (983)

Advertisement block