Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Goalless draw at The Den

Stalemate in SE16...

12 February 2019

Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday battled to a goalless draw on a frustrating night in the Sky Bet Championship at The Den.

Neil Harris made one change to his starting line-up for the visit of The Owls, as Aiden O'Brien replaced Ben Thompson, who dropped to the bench.

The Lions were making the attacking moves in the opening stages, forcing a couple of corners and with Ben Marshall delivering crosses into the penalty area, but to no avail. Shaun Williams then headed into the grasp of Keiren Westwood with six minutes on the clock.

Two minutes later Millwall nearly opened the scoring, but after Marshall nodded the ball back across goal, Michael Hector cleared behind just before the onrushing O'Brien arrived inside the six-yard box.

The early chances kept coming for the home side, with Lee Gregory and Marshall both having efforts blocked with 12 minutes on the clock, whilst a corner caused temporary chaos inside the Wednesday box on 22 minutes before Westwood claimed.

A period without action followed, but nine minutes before the break, Jed Wallace and Mahlon Romeo both tested Westwood from distance, however, the duo were comfortable for the stopper. Romeo then burst into the box and crossed, but the ball was cleared.

It was Sheffield Wednesday who had the better of the opening exchanges in the second half, but Jordan Archer was equal to Lucas Joao's effort for his first save of the game on 48 minutes.

It took until the 57th minute for the next chances to arrive, but Westwood was well placed to save O'Brien's header after Jed Wallace's cross found the attacker. Adam Reach then let fly from range at the other end, but Archer gathered with ease, before O'Brien tested Westwood once more as the game started to come to life.

Whilst a handball by Barry Bannan was not given at one end, Wednesday were inches away from taking the lead at the other, but Hector could not get on the end of Reach's cross. With 11 minutes remaining, Cooper's booming header saw substitute Steve Morison slip his marker, but he got his attempt horribly wrong, slicing it wide.

Millwall produced a good move with 10 minutes remaining, with Gregory taking Jed Wallace's pass in his stride and crossing to the back post and the awaiting Morison, but after he headed back across goal, Jordan Thorniley cleared Marshall's header off the line.

Gregory had to withdraw through injury with eight minutes remaining, with Fred Oneydinma taking his place in a double sub which involved Shane Ferguson replacing Marshall - Onyedinma showed pace and determination to win the ball back in four minutes of stoppage-time, but he trod on the ball as he made his way inside the penalty area, stopping the attack dead in its tracks.

Steven Fletcher then blazed just wide in the dying moments.

Millwall: Archer, Shaun Hutchinson, Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Gregory (Onyedinma 82'), Romeo, O'Brien (Morison 71'), M. Wallace, Leonard, Marshall (Ferguson 82'). Subs not used: Martin, Thompson, Pearce, Tunnicliffe.

Booking: Cooper

Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood, Palmer, Fox, Pelupessy (Boyd 46'), Fletcher, Bannan, Thorniley, Joao (Forestieri 77'), Reach, Sam Hutchinson, Hector. Subs not used: Dawson, Nuhiu, Iorfa, Lazaar, Aarons.

Booking: Bannan, Fletcher

Referee: Tim Robinson

Attendance: 11,828 (1,177)

Advertisement block