Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Draw at The Den

Our take on Millwall v Rotherham United...

2 February 2019

Millwall and Rotherham United played out a drab goalless draw at The Den in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon.

Neil Harris made three changes to his starting line-up for the visit of The Millers from last weekend's dramatic Emirates FA Cup victory over Everton - Ben Thompson, Ben Marshall and Jed Wallace returned to the XI in place of Ryan Tunnicliffe, Aiden O'Brien and Shane Ferguson, who all took their places on the bench.

The Lions started strongly and had a potential penalty appeal turned down by Andrew Madley after Murray Wallace was tripped, with Marshall curling an effort on to the top of the crossbar seconds later.

A quiet period followed, but around the 20-minute mark Millwall forced a succession of corners - Jake Cooper rose to meet the second one, but headed wide from a few yards out.

Marshall robbed Rotherham of possession with 26 minutes on the clock, but The Millers' defence stood firm to stop the winger getting a shot away. The ball was eventually worked out to Mahlon Romeo, but his cross evaded the back post leap of Thompson.

Rotherham's first chance came on 31 minutes, but Clark Robertson nodded Joe Mattock's corner-kick into the grasp of Jordan Archer. A corner of Millwall's own was then worked out to Ryan Leonard on the edge of the penalty area, but, pedalling backwards, the midfielder blasted over.

Jed Wallace and Thompson worked the ball inside the box 10 minutes before the break, but the former took too long in pulling the trigger, allowing the Rotherham backline to execute a perfect tackle. From the corner that followed, Marshall headed over.

The Lions were beginning to make chances as the first half came to a close, but the best they could muster was Romeo's half-volley - which nestled in the arms of Marek Rodak - on 39 minutes.

The second-half began slowly, but the first chance went the way of Rotherham - Semi Ajayi smashing an effort over. Romeo and Lee Gregory almost played a smart one-two with 55 minutes on the clock, but the former's scooped pass was too long. At the other end, Archer had to be at his best to push away Michael Smith's shot in the best chance of the afternoon so far.

A major flashpoint took place on 57 minutes, as after Archer came for a cross and missed, a shot was cleared off the line by Marshall. The stopper then gathered the ball on the floor, but a late challenge sparked a melee which ended with Millers captain Richard Wood being shown a yellow card.

Nine minutes from time Marshall's cross was whipped into the box, but Robertson dangerously headed behind, narrowly missing the near post. Two minutes later a deep Jed Wallace cross was strained at by Marshall, but the loanee's header went agonisingly wide.

It was only going to take one moment of quality to settle this drab affair, but despite five minutes of stoppage-time at the end of the second half, it never arrived.

Millwall: Archer, Hutchinson, Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Thompson (Morison 64'), Gregory, Romeo, M. Wallace, Leonard, Marshall. Subs not used: Martin, Onyedinma, Ferguson, Pearce, Tunnicliffe, O'Brien.

Rotherham United: Rodak, Mattock, Vaulks, Ajayi, Wood, Robertson, Crooks (Towell 89'), Ihiekwe, Yates (Vassell 67'), Smith, Jones. Subs not used: Price, Vyner, Forde, Taylor, Newell.

Booking: Robertson, Wood, Vaulks, Vassell

Referee: Andrew Madley

Attendance: 12,084 (460)

Advertisement block