Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Four-some Under 23s down Ipswich at The Den

Our take from SE16

9 December 2019

George Alexander (pen), Daniel Moss, Harvey Bradbury and Junior Tiensia were all on target as Millwall's Under 23s maintained their strong home record with a 4-1 Professional Development League victory over Ipswich Town at The Den on Monday afternoon.

Alexander opened the scoring from the penalty spot with 25 minutes played, before Moss, Bradbury - on his return from injury - and Tiensia scored in the second-half to secure victory. Ben Folami netted The Tractor Boys' consolation strike.

Kevin Nugent fielded the usual suspects in Tiensia, Billy Mitchell, Alexander and more, with Bradbury stepping up his recovery by taking a place on the bench.

After a quiet start to the game, Mitchell had The Lions' first effort on goal, but the ball whistled past the post. With 18 minutes on the clock Ipswich registered their first attempt, but Freddie Sears' shot went well wide.

Shortly before the midway point of the first-half Millwall had a shout for a penalty-kick, but referee Mr Gill was unmoved as Tyler Burey fell under the challenge of Conor O'Reilly.

O'Reilly, however, wasn't as lucky second time around, as after Tiensia found a way through to goal after Reuben Duncan's lofted pass, the defender bundled The Lions' left-back over inside the area, with Gill pointing to the spot. Alexander stepped up and smacked the ball home to open the scoring.

On the stroke of half-time Millwall nearly had a second, but after Burey's deep corner-kick was headed towards goal by Harry Ransom, Ipswich goalkeeper Adam Przybek stopped, with Mitchell unable to force the rebound over the line before committing a foul.

Grant Ward nodded over the bar as The Tractor Boys came out for the second-half seeking the equaliser, with Folami then forcing a save from Ryan Sandford.

Isaac Olaofe then perhaps should have done more with a first-time effort at the other end, with the attacker bursting into the box a few minutes later, but seeing his shot well stopped by Przybek. Burey's driving run then took him within sight of goal on 62 minutes, but Przybek again stood tall to deny the winger.

From the resulting corner, however, The Lions doubled their lead after Moss controlled the ball and unleashed an unstoppable left-footed effort into the top corner from around 15 yards out.

Three minutes later the arrears were reduced by one, though, as after Bailey Clements crashed a shot against the bar, Folami was there to clean up and fire a low effort off the post and past a helpless Sandford.

With 14 minutes remaining the two-goal advantage was restored, however, as substitute Bradbury, on his return from injury, powerfully headed Olaofe's cross past the despairing dive of Przybek.

There were 87 minutes elapsed when a quick free-kick put Alexander in for his second of the afternoon, but his lob fell the wrong side of the crossbar; but just a minute later, Millwall added a fourth after Tiensia took the ball in his stride on the left-hand side and rifled home past Przybek.

Millwall: Sandford, Moss, Tiensia, Mitchell (Bradbury), Debrah, Ransom, Olalofe, Skeffington, Alexander, Duncan, Burey. Subs not used: Topalloj, Wright, Strachan, Muller.

Scorer: Alexander 25', Moss 63', Bradbury 76', Tiensia 88'

Booking: Bradbury

Ipswich Town: Przybek, O'Reilly, Clements, Hughes, Fehrenbach, Adaba, Folami, Gibbs, Sears, Ward, Morris. Subs: Stewart, Alley, Foudil, Brown, Scott.

Scorer: Folami 66'

Booking: Folami, O'Reilly

Referee: Mr S. Gill

Advertisement block