Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Honours even at The Den

Our report from Millwall v Hull City

31 August 2019

Millwall and Hull City drew 1-1 at The Den in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon.

Jed Wallace's penalty-kick gave The Lions a 10th-minute lead, but Kamil Grosicki's long-range free-kick levelled matters and ensured a point-a-piece in South London.

Hull finished the encounter with nine men, after Jon Toral - after the visitors had already made all three substitutions - had to go off injured, before Josh Magennis was shown a second yellow card.

Lions boss Neil Harris opted to start with Tom Bradshaw and Matt Smith in attack for the first time in the League, whilst Jed Wallace returned from a three-match suspension to take his place in a midfield that also included Ben Thompson, Ryan Leonard and Connor Mahoney.

Millwall started brightly, but it was Hull who had the first chance of the game with just three minutes played - Jarrod Bowen, however, couldn't make full contact with the ball from a few yards out.

The Lions then attacked and found an opening to goal through Mahlon Romeo, but his shot was tame and easily gathered by George Long. With nine minutes played, however, the opportunity to take the lead presented itself after Jordy de Wijs brought Smith down on the edge of the penalty area - de Wijs was booked, before Jed Wallace stepped up to smash home and open the scoring.

Eight minutes later, though, the scores were level after Grosicki's long-range free-kick sailed over everyone - including Bartosz Bialkowski - to sneak in at the back post and equalise.

With 25 minutes on the clock, Bowen's through-ball looked to set scorer Grosicki in on goal, but captain Alex Pearce raced back to execute a goal-saving challenge and keep the scores level.

After a fast start, play on the field and voices off the field calmed down, but on 33 minutes, The Lions had another penalty shout after Jake Cooper was hauled to the floor - Oliver Langford was unmoved, however. Hull then applied pressure to the Millwall goal, but a combination of Cooper and Bialkowski stood firm to block efforts from Kevin Stewart and Magennis.

There was nearly a hint of controversy about a second goal for Hull just a minute later, but a series of fouls were not given the way of Millwall, Stewart somehow contrived to miss from just a couple of yards out with the goal at his mercy.

Four minutes into the second-half, the duo of Thompson and Murray Wallace combined to set up a chance for Jed Wallace - the winger beat his marker, but his curling effort was tipped behind by Long, with the resulting corner-kick coming to nothing.

Bowen found himself being written into referee Langford's book for a dive, before Bradshaw shot wide as both sides jostled for the lead. The Wallace's worked together to try and create an opening, but after Murray fed Jed, the winger's cross was cleared.

Grosicki then crossed for Bowen just past the midway point of the half, but the latter headed over, before substitute Jon Dadi Bodvarsson had a shot on the turn just a minute after coming on, but Long saved.

Murray Wallace then blazed well over from around 30 yards out, before Hull were reduced to 10 - not via a red card - as substitute Jon Toral, just two minutes after coming on, withdrew through injury.

With nine minutes remaining, sub Shane Ferguson swung a cross to the back post which was nodded into the path of Leonard, but the midfielder rose to head wide. The Northern Irishman then replicated his feat - this time on the other side of the pitch - but Pearce found the Cold Blow Lane stand behind the goal with his shot.

With a loud Den crowd attempting to roar their side over the line, Millwall entered five minutes of stoppage-time on top, but despite half-chances - and the sending off of Magennis - they could not force the ball over the line.

Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace (O'Brien 87'), Cooper, J. Wallace, Thompson, Bradshaw (Bodvarsson 67'), Smith, Romeo, Pearce, Leonard, Mahoney (Ferguson 75'). Subs not used: Steele, Hutchinson, Williams, Molumby.

Scorer: J. Wallace pen 10'

Booking: Bodvarsson, M. Wallace

Hull City: Long, Lichaj, de Wijs, Burke (Tafazolli 60'), Stewart, Grosicki, Honeyman (Toral 73'), Bowen, Pennington (da Silva Lopes 17'), Magennis, Irvine. Subs not used: Ingram, Eaves, McKenzie, Bowler.

Scorer: Grosicki 18'

Booking: de Wijs, Bowen, Magennis, Lichaj, Long

Sent Off: Magennis

Referee: Oliver Langford

Attendance: 12,495 (502)

Advertisement block