Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

London derby at The Den ends goalless

Our report from Wednesday's encounter...

10 April 2019

Millwall and Queens Park Rangers battled to a goalless draw at The Den in the Sky Bet Championship on Wednesday night.

Manager Neil Harris named an unchanged starting XI for the visit of The R's, with the only change coming on the bench as Ben Amos replaced the injured Jordan Archer.

It was the visitors who had the first effort on target with just two minutes elapsed, but David Martin was equal to Matt Smith's volley from a Luke Freeman cross.

A huge moment in the game took place with 15 minutes on the clock as Lee Gregory chased a free-kick forward, but after being bundled over by the last man, referee John Brooks waved play on. Rangers went straight down the other end and could have taken the lead, but James Meredith's superb block on Nahki Wells prevented that from being so.

After QPR were given a questionable free-kick shortly after the half-hour mark, Smith's header flashed across the six-yard box and trickled wide without any touch - one that surely would have opened the scoring.

Gregory's footwork allowed Ben Marshall a chance on 38 minutes, but after the winger couldn't find an opening, he set up Ryan Leonard to blaze over the crossbar. Marshall's deep corner two minutes later then found Alex Pearce at the back post, but his header was saved by Joe Lumley before being cleared away.

On the stroke of half-time Smith was once again a thorn in the side of the Millwall defence, putting Jake Cooper under enough pressure to head up rather than out, with the defender recovering in time to hack away the striker's goal-bound header. From the resulting corner-kick, Smith nodded just over.

Five minutes had passed in the second-half when an opportunity fell the way of Millwall, but neither Cooper and Ryan Tunnicliffe were able to force the ball over the line. Pearce had an effort cleared away from just a couple of yards out on 55 minutes, whilst with 18 minutes left, Martin had to stand strong to save from the lightning substitute Bright Osayi-Samuel; Freeman sending the follow-up effort wide.

Osayi-Samuel was causing The Lions problems, with his effort rolling wide 10 minutes from time, but there was to be no further action as both sides had to make do with a point.

Millwall: Martin, Meredith, Cooper, J. Wallace, Thompson, Gregory, Romeo, Pearce, Tunnicliffe (Morison 83'), Leonard, Marshall (O'Brien 77'). Subs not used: Amos, McLaughlin, Williams, Elliott, Skalak.

Booking: Marshall, Tunnicliffe

Queens Park Rangers: Lumley, Furlong, Cameron, Freeman (Wszolek 90+1'), Scowen, Manning, Smith, Luongo, Wells (Osayi-Samuel 62'), Lynch, Leistner. Subs not used: Ingram, Cousins, Eze, Hemed, Walker.

Booking: Lynch, Manning, Luongo

Referee: John Brooks

Attendance: 13,132 (1,008)

Advertisement block