Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Goalless draw at The Den

Our report from Lions v Potters

27 April 2019

Millwall and Stoke City played out a goalless draw at The Den in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon.

Neil Harris made one change to his starting XI from Easter Monday's defeat at Aston Villa, as Shaun Williams returned to captain the side in place of James Meredith.

The Lions started on the attack straight away and forced a corner-kick within the first 15 seconds, but the ball was cleared after Ryan Leonard's shot was blocked.

There was a real moment of concern for Millwall with eight minutes played, but after Moritz Bauer broke away down the right-hand side and crossed for former Lions loanee Benik Afobe, David Martin sprung into action and crucially saved.

Stoke were now on top, and with 14 minutes on the clock were close to taking the lead, but James McClean's shot crashed off the crossbar. Joe Allen followed up, but Alex Pearce was there to hack away.

The game descended into a midfield battle throughout the midway point of the half - that was until Ben Marshall's cross found Leonard on 35 minutes, but he flicked wide. Tom Ince's shot then apologetically rolled behind as a first-half without much incident came to a close.

Lee Gregory and Ryan Tunnicliffe both had efforts blocked as Millwall came out of the traps quickly in the second-half, whilst Jed Wallace run half the length of the pitch to force a save from Jack Butland with 51 minutes on the clock.

It was then the turn of skipper Williams to have an effort on goal, but that was blocked, with the ball spinning harmlessly towards Butland. At the other end, Ryan Shawcross nodded wide.

McClean's cross then caused momentary chaos inside the Millwall box, but the ball was cleared, before a chance was presented with 15 minutes left, but blocked, with Mahlon Romeo striking wide from distance moments later.

There was late drama at either end, as with 88 minutes on the clock, the play seemed to be in slow motion as firstly substitute Sam Vokes, and then Afobe, attempted to stab the ball home, before at the other end just seconds later, Tunnicliffe's two attempts were blocked, before Gregory blazed over.

Despite four minutes of chances at either end in stoppage-time, the game finished goalless.

Millwall: Martin, Cooper, S. Williams, J. Wallace, Gregory, Ferguson (Meredith 90'), Romeo, Pearce, Tunnicliffe, Leonard, Marshall (Morison 66'). Subs not used: Amos, McLaughlin, Onyedinma, Elliott, Skalak.

Booking: Leonard

Stoke City: Butland, Bauer, Allen, A. Williams, Ince (Vokes 76'), Etebo, Afobe, McClean, Batth, Shawcross, Clucas. Subs not used: Federici, Martins Indi, Adam, Diouf, Verlinden, Woods.

Booking: Shawcross, McClean

Referee: Oliver Langford

Attendance: 14,472 (1,572)

Advertisement block