Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Lions denied at the death as Leeds snatch draw

Our report from The Den...

15 September 2018

Millwall and Leeds United drew 1-1 at The Den in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon.

Jed Wallace's goal gave The Lions a 55th-minute lead but Jack Harrison's leveller a minute from time ensured a share of the spoils.

Tom Elliott hit the post for Millwall in stoppage-time.

Boss Neil Harris made two changes to his starting line-up from the 2-1 defeat to Swansea City, with Conor McLaughlin and Ryan Leonard - for his debut - replacing Mahlon Romeo and Ryan Tunnicliffe.

The first chance of the afternoon went the way of Leeds as in the fourth minute Jack Harrison crossed for Ezgjan Alioski, but the forward was just unable to reach the ball.

Millwall's first chance came in the 13th minute as a combination of Aiden O'Brien and Jed Wallace created space for a cross, but it was headed behind. From the corner-kick, Leonard headed into the path of Steve Morison but the striker was unable to turn home.

Shaun Williams' corner was met by Morison four minutes later but his header went wide of the post.

Referee Christopher Kavanagh waved away handball appeals as Jed Wallace looked to cross on the half-hour mark, whilst Murray Wallace had to be well-placed to keep out Tyler Roberts' otherwise goalbound effort.

Morison's header gave Bailey Peacock-Farrell problems just six minutes from the half-time break, but the stopper was able to keep the ball from crossing the line despite stumbling backwards after claiming.

Williams fired wide and Roberts got the better of Murray Wallace but found his shot blocked away from goal in the last action of a first-half that at times lacked quality and excitement, but also showed that there could be goals in the game.

Samuel Saiz sliced The Whites' first attempt of the second-half wide, before a defence-splitting pass from Alioski put Roberts in, but his effort was deflected behind. A well-worked free-kick routine between Saiz and Barry Douglas ended with the latter firing into the arms of Ben Amos.

With 55 minutes on the clock Millwall took the lead. A throw-in was flicked on by Jake Cooper to the awaiting Jed Wallace at the back post, with the winger squeezing a shot into the bottom corner, giving Peacock-Farrell no chance.

Amos was called upon on 63 minutes after slack defending from McLaughlin eventually allowed Luke Ayling to unleash a vicious strike on goal from yards out - the 'keeper, however, stood tall to pull off a fantastic save.

Substitute Lewis Baker wasted a golden opportunity for Leeds just after, whilst Roberts tested Amos low down with a header. Stuart Dallas also fizzed a shot over the crossbar with just under 20 minutes remaining.

Leeds' inability to keep the ball was beginning to cost them; The Lions were winning possession with ease but were just unable to find that killer touch in front of goal. O'Brien's cross could not be converted by Lee Gregory whilst Williams shot wide.

One minute from time, however, Leeds were level as Harrison's long-range effort evaded the dive of Amos and nestled in the bottom corner.

There was still time to grab a winner, though, and The Den rose as Tom Elliott turned the ball towards goal from Jed Wallace's cross but it crashed back off the post. An end-to-end finale ensued with The Lions having a shout for a penalty turned down, but they could not force the ball over the line for the winning goal.

Millwall: Amos, McLaughlin, Meredith, J. Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Gregory (Elliott 86'), Morison (Bradshaw 70'), O'Brien, M. Wallace, Leonard. Subs not used: Martin, Romeo, Webster, Tunnicliffe, Skalak.

Scorer: J. Wallace 55'

Booking: J. Wallace

Leeds United: Peacock-Farrell, Ayling, Douglas, L. Cooper, Alioski, Roberts (Dallas 68'), Saiz, Jansson, Harrison, Phillips (Forshaw 74'), Klich (Baker 61'). Subs not used: Blackman, Pearce, Edmondson, Clarke.

Scorer: Harrison 89'

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh

Attendance: 17,195 (2,220)

Advertisement block