Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morison makes his mark as Millwall defeat Wigan

Lions v Latics at The Den

23 October 2018

Super-sub Steve Morison stepped off the bench to score the winner as Millwall came from behind to deservedly beat Wigan Athletic 2-1 at The Den in the Sky Bet Championship.

A tale of two penalties engulfed the hour-mark in South London, as, after a fortunate Jed Wallace own-goal had given the visitors the lead, Josh Windass blazed a spot-kick over the crossbar.

That was the catalyst for the Millwall equaliser as Aiden O'Brien was bundled over in the box just seconds later, with Shaun Williams stepping up to convert and level the scores.

Morison then took centre-stage as the striker slotted home his 92nd goal in a Lions shirt to give Millwall back-to-back home wins - coming from behind in both.

Neil Harris kept his line-up unchanged from last Saturday's meeting with Reading, meaning that Shaun Hutchinson once more kept his place on the substitutes' bench.

The opening exchanges were even, but the first shot of the game went the way of Wigan - Ryan Leonard, however, remained firm to block Lee Evans' shot from just outside the penalty area.

Tom Elliott's flick set Lee Gregory away with five minutes on the clock, with the striker feeding Jed Wallace - his cross was cushioned down by Williams and into the path of Gregory, but the ball was cleared behind. Leonard, meanwhile, curled an effort wide as The Lions probed for the opening goal.

Leonard's long throw nearly fashioned the first goal of the evening on 13 minutes, but Jake Cooper's looping header was saved by Christian Walton. John Windass, meanwhile, flashed a shot across goal a minute later at the other end.

The Lions were forcing the initiative and Jed Wallace's cross agonisingly crept across the box with 16 minutes on the clock, whilst Gregory was just unable to get on the end of a through-ball from the corner-kick that followed. Elliott chested down and fired over as the chances continued to come for the home side.

Mahlon Romeo's cross evaded everyone as the midway point of the half approached, before Williams shot wide on 25 minutes.

Again, Millwall piled forward in the 27th minute and as Jed Wallace fed Gregory, it seemed set for the striker to pull the trigger - he opted to cross, however, with the ball being cleared behind. Two corners followed, with the latter ending at the feet of Elliott, who had a shot blocked.

It was attack versus defence up until this point and after The Latics again presented Millwall with an opportunity on the half-hour mark, Shane Ferguson this time curled an attempt into the arms of Walton. Reece James blasted a free-kick wide on 37 minutes in a rare foray forward for Wigan, whillst Callum Connolly headed just over the bar four minutes before the break as the visitors began to threaten.

Wigan then took the lead in incredibly fortunate circumstances in first-half stoppage-time as a free-kick was headed into Jed Wallace, whose deflection found its way past Amos and into the corner of the net.

James Vaughan broke away past the Lions back-line early in the second-half, but luckily a poor first chance and good goalkeeping from Ben Amos kept the score at one.

With 58 minutes on the clock, referee James Linington pointed to the spot - unbelievably - as Vaughan fell to the floor, seemingly under a challenge from Romeo. A great dose of justice was served as Windass blazed his spot-kick over the crossbar.

Just a minute later, Millwall were awarded a penalty of their own after substitute O'Brien was hauled down - Williams stepped up and confidently dispatched the kick past Walton, despite the stopper guessing correctly.

Given the injustice and the subsequent happenings, The Lions' tails were now up and skill from Jed Wallace allowed the winger to cross, but O'Brien was unable to control at the back post.

O'Brien nearly had a slice of luck of his own on 67 minutes as his shot was deflected narrowly behind, with Walton just beating Cooper to the ball inside the six-yard box from the corner that followed. Vaughan shot wide for Wigan shortly after.

Jed Wallace's free-kick had Walton scrambling with 72 minutes on the clock, but it snuck wide of the post. With The Den beginning to grow nervy and The Latics taking their time, Cooper headed O'Brien cross wide four minutes later.

Eight minutes from time, it erupted as - finally - Millwall took the lead they had deserved since the kick-off. A neat one-two between Ferguson and Gregory saw the former square the ball for substitute Morison to slide home his first goal of the season and 92nd in a Lions shirt.

Hutchinson made a welcome return to action for the outstanding Jed Wallace with four minutes to go and the defender was called into action straight away as a cross came in - Chey Dunkley, however, glanced wide.

Gregory could have added the gloss shortly after, but his effort was deflected behind for a corner, whilst substitute Nick Powell headed over in injury-time for Wigan.

Millwall: Amos, Meredith (O'Brien 46'), Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace (Hutchinson 86'), Gregory, Ferguson, Romeo, Elliott (Morison 66'), M. Wallace, Leonard. Subs not used: Archer, Bradshaw, Tunnicliffe, Skalak.

Scorer: Williams 60' pen, Morison 82'

Booking: Meredith, Hutchinson, Gregory

Wigan Athletic: Walton, Morsy, Vaughan (Powell 68'), Windass (McManaman 84'), James (Byrne 73'), Naismith, Kipre, Dunkley, Connolly, Burn, Evans. Subs not used: Jones, Bruce, Roberts, Garner.

Scorer: J. Wallace og 45+2'

Booking: Naismith, Kipre

Referee: James Linington

Attendance: 11,190 (291)

Advertisement block