Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Heartbreak for Millwall in seven-goal thriller

Our report from Norwich...

10 November 2018

Teemu Pukki's 97th-minute winner broke Millwall hearts on Saturday afternoon as Norwich City defeated The Lions 4-3 in the Sky Bet Championship at Carrow Road.

Elliott headed home in the first half to open the scoring, but goals from Pukki and Moritz Leitner turned the game on its head. Ben Amos saved a Pukki penalty between those strikes, with Ryan Leonard and Jed Wallace having other ideas, however, as two quick-fire strikes had The Lions back in front and seemingly on their way to a first - and long overdue - away victory.

Jordan Rhodes, equalised two minutes into stoppage-time, though, before Pukki's winning goal crushed what was an outstanding away performance by Neil Harris' side.

Millwall boss Neil Harris made two changes from last Saturday's defeat at Brentford, as Conor McLaughlin and Jed Wallace replaced Mahlon Romeo and Jiri Skalak.

The Lions started well and fashioned the first effort of the afternoon with three minutes on the clock, but Elliott ballooned over the crossbar.

Good play from Lee Gregory and Jed Wallace saw the latter in behind the Norwich defence two minutes later, but a clutch of defenders raced back in time to ensure the attack petered out.

Jake Cooper nodded Shaun Williams' corner back into a dangerous area with 10 minutes on the clock, but no Millwall man was there to turn the ball home from around 12 yards out. The combination of Jed Wallace and Gregory linked up once more shortly after, this time with the striker showing good skill, but his shot was deflected behind. From the resulting corner, Leonard's free header was blocked.

The Lions were picking up second balls and playing the better football as the 20-minute mark approached, and Leonard was nearly sent through after Gregory passed the ball on from Elliott's header, but the ball was too powerful and rolled past the midfielder.

On 24 minutes, Millwall took a deserved lead through Elliott. A free-kick was swung into an unmarked Cooper, who headed back across goal where the striker was waiting to climb highest and nod home to open the scoring.

The first goal of the game perked Norwich up and they came to life on 29 minutes, but Alex Tettey slid a shot wide of Ben Amos' post. Five minutes later Timm Klose had a free header from Emi Buendia's corner, but Amos was well-placed to tip over.

The Canaries had the ball in the net six minutes from the half-time break, but after Klose's header hit the crossbar, he was ruled offside before Christoph Zimmermann blasted home. Onel Hernandez found himself in a promising position on 43 minutes, but Shaun Hutchinson's expert tackle saved the score from being levelled. Buendia then curled an attempt wide to end the half.

It took just four second half minutes for Norwich to level the scoring, as Marco Stiepermann's cross was converted from close range by Pukki. From there The Lions had to weather a storm, standing strong to free-kicks entering the box, culminating with Jamal Lewis' shot being saved by Amos.

On 57 minutes Norwich were given a fortunate penalty after Murray Wallace was judged to have handled in the box - Pukki stepped up, but Amos saved well and the rebound was cleared behind.

The game evened out as the midway point of the second half came and went, with the next real chance falling the way of Millwall on 73 minutes, but Elliott's shot was saved by Tim Krul. That was the goalscorer's last action in the game as he was replaced by Steve Morison.

Jed Wallace fired over with 15 minutes remaining, whilst a neat passing move saw Hernandez's cross roll across the box with no one able to tap home at the other end three minutes later.

On 79 minutes, Norwich nosed themselves in front as Leitner fired home from range at the third attempt. However, the lead lasted no more than 60 seconds as The Lions raced up the opposite end and found the net as Leonard slid home from around six yards out.

Incredibly, the never-say-die spirit of The Lions reared its head once more and after Jed Wallace pounced on a poor clearance, a one-two with Morison ended with the winger slotting home to put Millwall back in front.

With Millwall defending heroically, Rhodes slipped behind the defence to poke home an equaliser two minutes in stoppage time, before Pukki broke hearts by bundling home seven minutes over the 90.

Norwich City: Krul, Zimmermann, Leitner, Lewis (Vrancic 88'), Klose, Buendia, Stiepermann (Rhodes 88'), Pukki, Hernandez, Tettey, Aarons. Subs not used: McGovern, Godfrey, Marshall, Trybull, Cantwell.

Scorer: Pukki 49' 90+7', Leitner 79', Rhodes 90+2'

Booking: Leitner, Buendia

Millwall: Amos, McLaughlin, Hutchinson, Cooper, Williams, J. Wallace, Gregory (Meredith 89'), Ferguson (Tunnicliffe 88'), Elliott (Morison 73'), M. Wallace, Leonard. Subs not used: Archer, Romeo, O'Brien, Skalak.

Scorer: Elliott 24', Leonard 80', J. Wallace 83'

Booking: M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Elliott, McLaughlin, Amos

Referee: Nigel Lugg

Attendance: 26,289 (1,419)

Advertisement block