Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Lions and Mackems share the spoils in entertaining encounter

Our report from The Den...

3 March 2018

Shaun Hutchinson's second goal of the season earned Millwall a 1-1 draw with Sunderland in the Sky Bet Championship at The Den on Saturday afternoon.

Bryan Oviedo's stunning strike put The Black Cats in front just before the half-time break, but Hutchinson scrambled the ball across the line in the second-half to stretch The Lions' unbeaten run to nine matches.

Millwall boss Neil Harris kept his starting XI and substitutes the same for the fourth game running.

Six minutes in The Lions could have taken the lead, but Jake Cooper's free header on the edge of the six-yard box was cleared off the line by Lee Cattermole.

Millwall were effectively using the width of the Den pitch and swinging crosses into the penalty area, but Sunderland's rigid back five were dealing with matters as the halfway point of the first-half approached.

Adam Matthews flashed a ball across the face of the Millwall box on 17 minutes, but despite a glut of bodies being placed inside the six-yard box, no boot was available to tap the ball home. Callum McManaman blazed over eight minutes later.

On 29 minutes, The Black Cats took the lead through a stunning strike by Oviedo. A corner-kick was taken short and passed to the Costa Rican, who jinked his way past one Millwall player before unleashing an unstoppable effort into the top corner.

Shaun Williams forced Jason Steele into a smart stop on 39 minutes, whilst two minutes later Steve Morison headed Ben Marshall's deep cross wide of the post.

The second-half was nearly two minutes old when The Lions had a chance to level, but Lee Gregory's left-footed shot was tame and rolled into the arms of Steele, whilst with 50 minutes on the clock, Millwall had a shout for a penalty turned down after Marshall tumbled in the box.

With The Lions on top and the home crowd behind them, Gregory's looping header looked to be creeping in the top corner, but Steele produced a strong hand to turn the ball over the crossbar.

On 68 minutes, with The Den at fever pitch, Morison looked to slam a volley into the net from Wallace's cross, but Steele saved well. However, from the resulting corner, a scramble ended with Hutchinson poking his second goal of the season just across the goal-line.

Millwall continued to huff, puff and dominate the second-half, but were unable to find the goal that would put them in front. In a rare Sunderland attacking foray, Ashley Fletcher fired across the box, but to no avail.

Morison sliced over the crossbar with two minutes remaining and The Lions continued to attack in five minutes of stoppage-time, but referee Andy Davies blew his whistle to end an entertaining afternoon with the sides level.

Millwall: Archer, Meredith, Hutchinson, Williams, Gregory, Romeo, Wallace (Cahill 88'), Morison, Saville, Cooper, Marshall (Onyedinma 81'). Subs not used: Martin, McLaughlin, Tunnicliffe, Elliott, Shackell.

Booking: Saville, Morison

Scorer: Hutchinson 69'

Sunderland: Steele, Oviedo, Cattermole, Fletcher, McManaman (Asoro 63'), O'Shea, Browning, McGeady (Honeyman 77'), Matthews, Kone, Ejaria. Subs not used: Jones, Williams, Camp, Maja, Robson.

Booking: Steele

Scorer: Oviedo 29'

Referee: Andy Davies

Attendance: 14,358 (1,976)

Advertisement block