Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Five straight wins on the road as Lions defeat Hull City

Our take on events from the KCOM Stadium...

6 March 2018

Goals from George Saville and Jake Cooper secured a fifth straight away Sky Bet Championship win for Millwall as The Lions defeated Hull City 2-1 at the KCOM Stadium on Tuesday night.

Saville gave Millwall the lead in the first minute, with Cooper doubling the advantage just after the half-hour mark, but Abel Hernandez's late goal gave The Lion the jitters at the end. They held on, however, to make it 10 unbeaten in the League.

Lions boss Neil Harris made one change to his squad for the first time in five matches, with Tom Elliott replacing Steve Morison in attack.

Just 51 seconds in, The Lions took the lead. Elliott and Jed Wallace battled for the ball down the right-hand side and after the latter's cross found Lee Gregory, he back-heeled into the path of Saville, who fired home at the second attempt.

Elliott fired over on the half-volley as Millwall dominated the opening stages, with the striker stretching goalkeeper Allan McGregor into a save with a well-struck shot on seven minutes. Gregory's poke towards goal also ensured McGregor was kept in work.

Hull's first chance of the night came on 17 minutes, but Jackson Irvine could only head Max Clark's cross wide of Jordan Archer's post.

Three minutes later Jarrod Bowen crashed an effort against the crossbar, whilst at the other end, Gregory curled a shot wide.

With 27 minutes on the clock Kamil Grosicki shaped to shoot, but Mahlon Romeo timed his goal-saving tackle to perfection. That proved to be telling as on 33 minutes, Cooper looped a header home from a corner-kick to double the lead.

The first action of the second-half came on 55 minutes as Bowen shot low, but Archer was well placed to claim with ease. Gregory tried the same at the other end a minute later, but McGregor was also in place to save.

The Lions thought they had a third on the hour-mark, but referee Mr Coote blew for a foul just before Saville bundled the ball home at the back post.

Substitute Abel Hernandez fired wide five minutes later, whilst Seb Larsson's shot was deflected over just after. A ball over the top to Wallace set Millwall into a three-on-two situation, but the winger's cross was blocked and the ball was cleared away to safety.

On 79 minutes the home side clawed one back as Hernandez coverted from close range. Substitute Fred Onyedinma attempted to make the game safe five minutes from time, but his effort was parried away by McGregor.

Five agonising minutes of stoppage-time followed, but The Lions held on to stretch their unbeaten run into double figures.

Hull City: McGregor, Irvine (Hernandez 59'), Grosicki (Wilson 59'), Dicko, Larsson, Bowen, Dawson, Henriksen, Clark, Aina, MacDonald (Mazuch 46'). Subs not used: Marshall, Campbell, Tomori, Stewart.

Scorer: Hernandez 79'

Booking: Dawson, Henriksen

Millwall: Archer, Meredith, Hutchinson, Williams, Gregory (Cahill 72'), Romeo, Wallace, Elliott (Morison 61'), Saville, Cooper, Marshall (Onyedinma 66'). Subs not used: Martin, McLaughlin, Tunnicliffe, Shackell.

Scorer: Saville 1', Cooper 33'

Booking: Wallace, Cahill, Romeo, Morison

Referee: D. Coote

Attendance: 13,524 (355)

Advertisement block