Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stalemate in south London as Millwall and Derby draw

Our take on Tuesday's Championship encounter...

30 January 2018

Millwall stretched their unbeaten run at The Den to nine games after a 0-0 draw with high-flying Derby County in the Sky Bet Championship on Tuesday night.

In a game of few clear-cut chances, The Lions held their own against The Rams and will take heart from a point and a clean sheet.

Neil Harris made eight changes from Saturday's Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round draw with Rochdale, with regular first-team players such as James Meredith, Lee Gregory and George Saville returning to the side. Steve Morison missed out through illness.

New signing Tim Cahill was paraded in front of the crowd inside the ground prior to kick-off and the first chance of the game went the way of the visitors on seven minutes, but after some patient build-up play, George Thorne shot straight at Jordan Archer.

With 18 minutes on the clock The Rams could - and perhaps should - have taken the lead, but some heroic defending from Shaun Hutchinson prevented Matej Vydra from firing home. Derby were moving the ball forward well and broke free through Andreas Weimann, but The Lions' defence was able to catch up and clear away from danger.

On 24 minutes there was a controversial moment as a Derby foot was extremely high - so high, it made contact with Gregory's head and drew blood - inside the penalty area, but referee Oliver Langford was unmoved and a penalty-kick was not given.

The rest of the first-half became a midfield battle, with little in the way of chances at either end of the pitch.

Derby enjoyed large spells of possession at the beginning of the second-half, but failed to trouble Archer. Tom Huddlestone ballooned their best chance way over the crossbar on 58 minutes.

A long, raking pass from Shaun Williams set Gregory into a foot-race with Curtis Davies on the hour-mark, but the defender just stuck a leg out to clear the ball behind and prevent the striker having a shot on goal. From the resulting corner-kick, Elliott shot over.

Shaun Hutchinson got the Den faithful on their feet on 67 minutes as he stormed into a tackle with Vydra and cleanly won the ball. Derby took umbrage to some industrial yet fair challenges from The Lions - a move that only fuelled the fire of the fans inside The Den, who got behind their team.

A rare moment in front of goal saw Gregory lay the ball off to Jed Wallace after substitute Fred Onyedinma broke through the Derby defence, but the winger's shot was well saved by Carson.

As the rain swirled around the stadium, Derby had the ball in the net on 84 minutes as sub Ikechi Anya shot home past Archer following Cameron Jerome's pass, but the strike was ruled out for offside.

Hutchinson again heroically threw himself in front of a shot, this time from Huddlestone, with the defender in action at the other end as his shot drew calls for handball as the clock struck the 90-minute mark.

The Lions pushed for a goal late on, but could not find it, with both sides settling for a point.

Millwall: Archer, McLaughlin, Meredith, Hutchinson, Williams, Gregory, Ferguson (Onyedinma 72'), Wallace, Elliott, Saville, Cooper. Subs not used: Martin, Craig, Thompson, Romeo, Tunnicliffe, Mbulu.

Booking: Elliott, McLaughlin

Derby County: Carson, Forsyth, Keogh, Lawrence (Anya 82'), Wisdom, Weimann, Vydra (Winnall 74'), Nugent (Jerome 74'), Davies, Thorne, Huddlestone. Subs not used: Roos, Baird, Pearce, Ledley.

Booking: Wisdom

Referee: Oliver Langford

Attendance: 10,931 (1,109)

Advertisement block