Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

O'Brien on target as Lions and North End draw

Our take from The Den...

13 January 2018

Aiden O'Brien and Callum Robinson were on target at The Den on Saturday afternoon as Millwall and Preston North End drew 1-1 in the Sky Bet Championship.

Lions boss Neil Harris made two changes from the last League match at Norwich City, with Jed Wallace and O'Brien replacing Shaun Williams and Fred Onyedinma, who both dropped to the bench.

Three minutes were on the clock when Ryan Tunnciliffe's through-ball looked to set Lee Gregory away on goal, but the pass was ever so slightly overhit and cleared away to safety.

Both sides proceeded to muster attacks on goal without the end product, but on 12 minutes, The Lions very nearly found it through O'Brien following Wallace's cross - the ball, however, was knocked behind for a corner-kick.

Robinson troubled Jordan Archer from range on 21 minutes, but the stopper was equal to a bouncing ball to palm away, whilst James Meredith had to get himself in the way of Billy Bodin's effort three minutes later.

Robinson also struck wide on 33 minutes as North End began to take hold of the game in an attacking sense, but the score remained goalless as half-time approached.

Just a minute later Mahlon Romeo's delightful ball across the box deserved a decisive touch on the end of it, but O'Brien could only find the advertising boards behind the goal. Tunnicliffe's half-volley also went wide on 37 minutes.

Millwall's best chance of the half to date came five minutes before the break. Wallace's free-kick found Steve Morison unmarked at the back post; the striker headed into the path of Gregory, but the set-up was just too high for the straining neck muscles of The Lions' number nine.

The Lions took the lead on 43 minutes in classy circumstances. Morison's sublime flick sent Wallace away down the right-hand side and after the winger's cross was just out of Gregory's reach, O'Brien was on hand to sweep home for his third goal in two games.

Morison and Wallace linked up well once more with 56 minutes on the clock, but North End goalkeeper Chris Maxwell rushed out to clear after the latter raced towards goal. George Saville shot wide shortly before the hour-mark as Millwall gained the ascendancy.

The Lions had the ball in the net once more on 68 minutes, but Gregory - perhaps correctly - was ruled offside following Morison's outstanding pass.

Ten minutes from time, North End equalised as Robinson chested home Greg Cunningham's cross from six yards out.

With 85 minutes gone, Cunningham danced his way through The Lions' defence and eventually found substitute Daryl Horgan, but a heroic block from Meredith kept the scores level.

Meredith could have scored his first goal for Millwall in the dying moments, but the left-back's shot from the edge of the penalty area was charged down.

The result now means Millwall are unbeaten in seven matches at The Den.

Millwall: Archer, Meredith, Hutchinson, Gregory (Williams 88'), Romeo, Wallace (Onyedinma 88'), Tunnicliffe, Morison, O'Brien, Saville, Cooper. Subs not used: Martin, McLaughlin, Craig, Thompson, Elliott.

Scorer: O'Brien 43'

Booking: Gregory

Preston North End: Maxwell, Cunningham, Pearson (Johnson 78'), Clarke, Browne, Hugill, Harrop (Horgan 70'), Gallagher, Davies, Robinson, Bodin (Barkhuizen 46'). Subs not used: Rudd, Boyle, Welsh, O'Connor.

Scorer: Robinson 80'

Booking: Pearson, Hugill

Referee: J. Simpson

Attendance: 11,751 (1,483)

Advertisement block