Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Seven unbeaten as Lions come from behind to defeat Wednesday

Our take on the action at The Den...

20 February 2018

Goals from striking duo Lee Gregory and Steve Morison earned Millwall all three points at The Den on Tuesday night as The Lions came from behind to defeat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 in the Sky Bet Championship.

Joey Pelupessy gave The Owls a first-half lead with a stunning strike, but Gregory and Morison spun the game on its head after the break to ensure Millwall's unbeaten run stretches to seven matches.

Neil Harris decided to stick with the same starting XI and subs that defeated Birmingham City on Saturday, meaning goalscorer Fred Onyedinma took his place on the bench alongside Tim Cahill.

Wednesday enjoyed a spell of possession as the game got underway, but the first chance of the evening went the way of Millwall as Ben Marshall's deflected shot clipped the side netting following good work from Gregory.

A runaway advertising board temporarily halted play on 11 minutes, whilst with 27 minutes on the clock, Morison failed to make a connection with an inch-perfect Jed Wallace cross on the edge of the six-yard box.

Jake Cooper fired wide from around 35 yards out as the half-hour mark approached, whilst two minutes later, Morison's lob set Gregory on goal - however, the striker shot wide under pressure from the Wednesday defence.

Ross Wallace ballooned The Owls' first chance of the night well over the crossbar on 38 minutes and Jack Stobbs broke away down the left-hand side minutes later, but his low cross was cleared by Mahlon Romeo. 

On 42 minutes, however, Sheffield Wednesday took the lead. A speculative ball forward landed at the feet of Pelupessy, who cut inside and unleashed an unstoppable shot past Jordan Archer and into the corner of the net.

The Lions started the second-half on top and had a huge shout for a penalty-kick turned down on 51 minutes, but referee Peter Bankes ruled that David Jones's arm did not block Wallace's cross. That proved academic just 60 seconds later, however, as Cooper nodded a free-kick into the path of Gregory, who headed home from close range to level the scores.

Despite restoring parity, the injustice served as fuel to the fire with regards to the atmosphere inside The Den, which cranked itself up a few notches in the wake of Gregory's equaliser. 

Shaun Williams tried the spectacular just before the hour-mark, but found his shot from inside his own half fall well short of troubling Joe Wildsmith. Millwall's dominance continued and some slick passing football nearly produced a second goal on 59 minutes, but Wildsmith spilled Gregory's curler wide for a corner-kick.

Morison pounced on some slow Wednesday defending with 61 minutes on the clock, but his cross was cleared away with Gregory lurking at the near post. More slack defending two minutes later produced The Lions' deserved second of the night. Wallace stole the ball away and crossed to an unmarked Morison, who had the easiest of tasks in slotting away his third goal of the campaign.

A lengthy stoppage in play following an injury to Jordan Thorniley followed, with Gregory slicing wide once play restarted. Substitute Adam Reach tried to win a penalty-kick for his side with 77 minutes on the clock, but was booked for simulation.

Jack Stobbs shot wide unmarked with 10 minutes remaining of normal time, whilst Onyedinma replaced the excellent Marshall two minutes from time.

Three minutes into 13 minutes of stoppage-time, another Wednesday substitute, Lucas Joao, headed just wide of Archer's post. The Owls attempted to threaten late on, but Millwall's defence stood firm to claim a well-deserved result.

Millwall: Archer, Meredith, Hutchinson, Williams, Gregory (Shackell 90+8'), Romeo, Wallace, Morison, Saville, Cooper, Marshall (Onyedinma 88'). Subs not used: Martin, McLaughlin, Tunnicliffe, Cahill, Elliott.

Scorer: Gregory 52', Morison 63'

Sheffield Wednesday: Wildsmith, Hunt, Jones (Reach 65'), Fox, Loovens, Boyd, Pelupessy, Wallace (Nuhiu 79'), Thorniley (Joao 72'), Stobbs, Venancio. Subs not used: Dawson, Butterfield, Pudil, Clare.

Booking: Venancio, Reach, Nuhiu

Scorer: Pelupessy 42'

Referee: Peter Bankes

Attendance: 11,007 (1,502)

Advertisement block