Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stalemate in Sheffield as Millwall go 17 unbeaten

Our report from Bramall Lane...

14 April 2018

Millwall stretched their unbeaten run in the Sky Bet Championship to 17 games with a 1-1 draw at Sheffield United on Saturday afternoon.

In a keenly-contested encounter at Bramall Lane, Leon Clarke nodded The Blades in front on 74 minutes, only for Steve Morison to hit back instantly to claim a share of the spoils.

Neil Harris made just one change to his starting line-up from Tuesday night's 2-0 win at Bolton Wanderers, with Morison replacing Tom Elliott, who dropped to the bench.

An even start saw little in the way of goalmouth action until Lee Evans bent an effort towards Jordan Archer in the eighth minute - fortunately, it whistled past the post.

Chris Basham's deflected shot forced the stopper into his first save on 15 minutes, whilst seconds later, Steve Morison ballooned The Lions' first attempt of the afternoon way wide.

Ben Marshall's corner-kick found the unmarked Shaun Hutchinson with 22 minutes on the clock, but his powerful header was saved by Jamal Blackman. In what had begun to become an end-to-end encounter, John Lundstram headed Jack O'Connell's cross over at the other end.

Shortly before the half-hour mark, Clarke twisted and turned inside the penalty area and managed to fashion a powerful cross, but no Blades man was there for the easiest of tap-ins. John Fleck's mazy run took him past three Millwall players as the clock struck 30 minutes, but his shot was tame and Archer gratefully accepted.

Jake Cooper rose highest to meet a Shaun Williams corner 10 minutes before the break - his header was cleared as far as Jed Wallace, who thumped an effort towards goal only for it to be deflected behind. Wallace's cross seconds later struck a United arm inside the penalty area, but no spot-kick was given.

Inside first-half stoppage-time, Richard Stearman forced Archer into a full-length save to keep the score goalless.

A sloppy backpass following pressure from Wallace and Morison early into the second half saw Gregory pounce, but his angle to goal was too acute, resulting in his shot hitting the side-netting.

Archer was called into action once more on 50 minutes as George Baldock met Fleck's cross; the stopper pulling off a magnificent save from the defender's shot. Four minutes after that The Lions' defensive pairing of Hutchinson and Cooper caused chaos in the United defence from a free-kick, but that particular passage of play ended with Williams finding the upper tier with a volley.

On 64 minutes Williams brilliantly met a corner on the penalty spot, but his header was expertly tipped wide by Blackman. At the other end, Clarke nodded into the hands of Archer.

Substitute Mark Duffy showed outrageous skill to take the ball away from Romeo with 72 minutes on the clock, but after racing half the length of the field he dragged his shot wide of the post.

Two minutes later The Blades took the lead. Following a dubious corner-kick decision, a deep cross was swung over and nodded into the path of Clarke, who steered the ball home from close range.

However, that lead lasted just over one minute as, in the midst of United's celebrations, a long ball over the top from Cooper allowed Morison to poke home his fifth goal of the season.

Archer had to be at his best to tip Evans' shot over as the Bramall Lane atmosphere cranked up a notch, with Wallace denied a penalty shout five minutes from time in front of the travelling contingent.

In a frantic finale, both goalkeepers were called upon as firstly Blackman had to tip the ball wide from a deflection by his own defence, whilst Archer pulled off an outstanding save from close range.

Duffy's shot was deflected over the crossbar by a clutch of Lions defenders, whilst Evans was booked for simulation as he tried to win a penalty-kick in the dying embers of injury-time.

Sheffield United: Blackman, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Lundstram (Duffy 46'), Clarke, Stearman (Lafferty 70'), Evans, Brooks (Sharp 59'). Subs not used: Moore, Donaldson, Wright, Leonard.

Scorer: Clarke 74'

Booking: Stearman, Evans

Millwall: Archer, Meredith, Hutchinson, Williams, Gregory (Elliott 90'), Romeo, Wallace, Morison, Saville, Cooper, Marshall (Onyedinma 84'). Subs not used: Martin, Tunnicliffe, Cahill, O'Brien, Shackell.

Scorer: Morison 76'

Booking: Williams, Saville, Marshall

Referee: David Coote

Attendance: 27,454 (1,624)

Advertisement block