Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

10-man Millwall slip to narrow Wolves defeat

Our take on Molineux encounter...

9 September 2017

Diego Jota's 10th-minute strike condemned 10-man Millwall to defeat at Wolves in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon at Molineux.

The Lions battled from start to finish, but were undone by Jota's long-range strike and Aiden O'Brien's second yellow card in the second-half.

Boss Neil Harris opted to stick with the starting XI that beat Norwich City 4-0 at The Den before the international break, with Mahlon Romeo stepping up to the substitutes' bench in place of Tom Elliott.

Five minutes in, Millwall had their first chance of the afternoon. Lee Gregory showed outstanding skill to pluck Byron Webster's long-ball out of the air and away from the touchline, but after beating two defenders, the striker's cross eventually fizzled out into a free-kick for the hosts.

Three minutes later, Jordan Archer was called into the action for the first time, tipping Leo Bonatini's strike behind for a corner-kick, which The Lions defended well. However, in the 10th minute, Wolves took the lead through Jota's long-range effort.

Both sides traded midfield possession until the 22nd minute, when goalscorer Jota flashed an attempt across the face of Archer's net. Just a minute later, Steve Morison controlled James Meredith's ball into the penalty area, but fired wide.

Chances were few and far between for the remainder of the half, with Ruben Neves' shot over the crossbar on the stroke of half-time the only effort of note.

On 52 minutes, Meredith crossed into the box, but Morison headed over. With 61 minutes on the clock, former Wolves man Jed Wallace created space for a shot, but dragged it wide of the post.

Archer had to be at his best on 64 minutes as Romain Saiss' side-footed shot looked destined for the top corner - the Scot tipping it over the crossbar.

The Lions were reduced to 10 men a minute later, as Aiden O'Brien followed up his first booking with a second for fouling Matt Doherty.

Gregory's hold-up play fed Wallace on 76 minutes, but the winger curled a shot just wide as Millwall looked to get back into the game a man light.

Harris made a double substitution with 11 minutes remaining, bringing on Fred Onyedinma and Shane Ferguson for Wallace and Meredith, but it was Wolves that almost doubled their lead shortly after - however, Archer saved well from Bonatini.

Incredible Lions defending stopped the home side from making it 2-0 on 89 minutes, as a combination of Webster, Shaun Williams and Conor McLaughlin prevented Wolves from sealing the game from close-range.

In five minutes of stoppage time, substitute Onyedinma saw his curler agonisingly tipped wide by John Ruddy, with Williams having a shot saved from the corner-kick that followed.

Wolves: Ruddy, Doherty, Batth, Neves (N'Diaye 77'), Marshall (Enobakhare 59'), Coady, Jota (Cavaleiro 87'), Miranda, Saiss, Vinagre, Bonatini. Subs not used: Norris, Price, Ronan, Deslandes.

Scorer: Jota 10'

Booking: Batth

Millwall: Archer, Mclaughlin, Meredith (Ferguson 79'), Hutchinson, Williams, Gregory, Wallace (Onyedinma 79'), Webster, Morison, O'Brien, Saville. Subs not used: King, Craig, Cooper, Tunnicliffe, Romeo.

Booking: Webster, O'Brien

Sent Off: O'Brien

Referee: Robert Madley

Attendance: 24,426 

Advertisement block