Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stalemate in south Wales for Millwall

Our take on events at the Cardiff City Stadium...

28 October 2017

Cardiff City and Millwall played out a goalless draw in south Wales in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon.

In a game where clear-cut chances were at a premium, The Lions secured a fourth away draw of the campaign.

Millwall boss Neil Harris decided to stick with the same XI which defeated Birmingham City 2-0 at The Den last weekend, with the only change coming on the substitutes' bench, as Kris Twardek made way for the returning Fred Onyedinma.

The first goalmouth action of the game came on 11 minutes, as Nathaniel Mendez-Laing looked to burst away from the Millwall defence and into the penalty area. However, he was superbly tracked all the way by Ryan Tunnicliffe, who committed himself to a last-ditch tackle to perfection before the winger shaped to shoot.

The Lions' first opportunity came on 18 minutes, but Lee Gregory was just unable to make a proper connection with Jed Wallace's cross. Four minutes later, Gregory latched on to Wallace's through ball, but put his effort way over the crossbar.

Jordan Archer was called into action with 23 minutes on the clock as he expertly tipped Danny Ward's shot away from danger following Lee Peltier's cross. The Scotland stopper was again needed on 28 minutes, as he saved another Ward effort following Sol Bamba's defence-splitting pass.

On 33 minutes, Steve Morison was presented with a chance to open his account for the season following a weak backpass, but goalkeper Neil Etheridge came out well to smother the striker's shot.

Once more Archer had to prevent Cardiff from taking the lead, this time on 38 minutes as he stopped Junior Hoilett's goal-bound attempt.

The second-half was seconds old when The Lions had an appeal for a penalty-kick turned down by referee Mr Martin, as Gregory went down under the weight of a Cardiff challenge. The ball fell at the feet of Morison four minutes later, but his powerful effort was turned behind by Etheridge.

The Lions continued to probe in search of the opener, but saw efforts from Gregory and Wallace saved, whilst George Saville fired over.

Harris introduced Tom Elliott and Shane Ferguson into the play with 12 minutes to go in a double substitution, but it was Cardiff who had the ball in the net two minutes from time - however, substitute Lee Tomlin correctly had his goal ruled out after kicking the ball out of Archer's hands.

With neither side able to break the deadlock, Millwall settled for a draw - their fourth Sky Bet Championship point on the road this season.

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Bennett (Paterson 37'), Morrison, Ecuele Manga, Ralls, Ward (Bogle 64'), Bamba, Mendez-Laing, Bryson (Tomlin 74'), Hoilett. Subs not used: Murphy, Feeney, Halford, Damour.

Booking: Ralls, Tomlin

Millwall: Archer, McLaughlin, Meredith, Hutchinson, Gregory (Elliott 78'), Wallace (Onyedinma 90+2'), Tunnicliffe, Morison, O'Brien (Ferguson 78'), Saville, Cooper. Subs not used: Martin, Craig, Romeo, Thompson.

Booking: Tunnicliffe

Referee: S. Martin

Attendance: 18,496

Advertisement block