Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Scunthorpe United 2-3 Millwall

7 May 2017

The Lions are off to Wembley!

Goals from Steve Morison (2) and Lee Gregory sent Millwall to Wembley in a pulsating Sky Bet League One Play-Off Semi-Final second leg at Glanford Park on Sunday night.

Ivan Toney gave The Iron the lead in the first-half, but Morison and Gregory combined to send The Lions to the Play-Off Final once more, despite Stephen Dawson's late consolation.

Neil Harris made two changes from the side that battled to a goalless draw in Thursday's first leg, with Aiden O'Brien and Mahlon Romeo coming in for Shane Ferguson and the injured Shaun Cummings. Calum Butcher stepped up to the substitutes bench in the right-back's absence.

There was just four minutes on the clock when The Lions had their first chance of the evening through O'Brien, but after good work from Gregory and Jed Wallace, the Irishman could only scuff at Joe Anyon.

Five minutes later, Gregory once more worked the ball well with his back to goal, but after Wallace's cross, a deflected effort came the way of Morison, who fired over.

Millwall were having the share of the attacking possession and created attempts through Tony Craig and Gregory, but could not find a way through to goal in a frenetic opening 20 minutes.

However, with The Iron's first real attack, they took the lead. A corner-kick was whipped in and after it flashed across the face of the six-yard box, Toney was there to nod home.

The visitors were playing the better football despite that and continued to make chances, with O'Brien heading wide from Jimmy Abdou's cross with 27 minutes on the clock.

There was a worrying moment for Millwall two minutes before the break as Josh Morris broke into the penalty area, but his vicious cross-shot fortunately flashed wide of the post.

But, The Lions were not to be denied for their first-half efforts and grabbed a deserved equaliser on the stroke of half-time through Morison.

The ball reached Craig on the left-hand side and after the defender's deep cross made its way towards the back post, Morison was there to head home for his 17th of the season to level the scores.

The second-half was mere minutes old when Millwall could have nudged themselves in front, but Morison agonisingly shot wide after Wallace's delightful cross.

On 52 minutes, The Lions took the lead for the first time on the night and in the tie. Morison expertly controlled a long ball downfield from Jordan Archer and after flicking the ball over his marker, his lobbed cross found the head of Gregory, who expertly guided past Anyon.

Six minutes later, Morison bagged his second of the night to put The Lions 3-1 up, striking low past Anyon. On 64 minutes, Millwall could have had a fourth, but Jordan Clarke cleared off the line from O'Brien.

Morris somehow conspired to miss from inside the six-yard box and reduce the deficit with 20 minutes left on the clock, kicking the ball against his standing leg when it seemed easier to score.

Eight minutes from time, Scunthorpe made the score 3-2 through Dawson's long-range drive.

An incredible six minutes of stoppage time were added on, but The Lions heroically held firm to claim the win - we're off to Wembley!

Scunthorpe United: Anyon, Wallace, Mirfin, Dawson, Madden (van Veen, 59'), Morris, Bishop, Townsend (Davies, 74'), Toney, Ness (Holmes, 66'), Clarke. Subs not used: Watson, Toffolo, Mantom, Sutton.

Bookings: Dawson, Ness

Scorers: Toney (19'), Dawson (82')

Millwall: Archer, Hutchinson, Craig, Williams, Gregory (Butcher, 80'), Romeo, Wallace, Webster, Morison, O'Brien (Ferguson, 69'), Abdou. Subs not used: King, Worrall, Thompson, Onyedinma, Cooper.

Bookings: Abdou, Williams

Scorers: Morison (45', 58'), Gregory (52')

Referee: C. Kavanagh

Attendance: 7,190

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block