Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Rochdale 3-3 Millwall

21 March 2017

Our take on a topsy-turvy Spotland encounter...

Jed Wallace's 77th minute strike gained Millwall a hard-earned point at Rochdale on Tuesday night in a pulsating 3-3 draw.

Lee Gregory and Aiden O'Brien raced The Lions into a 2-0 lead early on, but Dale turned the match on its head with strikes from Nathaniel Mendez Laing, Ian Henderson and Callum Camps.

Wallace, however, poked home the equaliser to ensure a share of the spoils.

Millwall boss Neil Harris made three changes from Saturday's goalless draw with Bury, welcoming Jordan Archer back into the side after injury, along with Calum Butcher and O'Brien. They replaced Tom King, Ben Thompson and Shane Ferguson, who all dropped to the substitutes bench.

Chances were few and far between in the opening exchanges, but Rochdale carved out the first with nine minutes played. Good work from Nathaniel Mendez Laing saw the winger tee up a cross, but the ball flashed across the face of goal, much to Millwall's relief.

With 14 minutes on the clock, The Lions opened the scoring from the penalty spot. Byron Webster was pulled down inside the box, leaving referee Mr England with no choice but to point to the spot. 

Gregory stepped up and dispatched his penalty past Conrad Logan to give Millwall the lead.

Nine minutes later, The Lions doubled their lead. Indecision in the Rochdale box saw Gregory pounce on a loose ball and after setting up O'Brien, the Irishman was left with the simplest of tasks in slotting under Logan to make it 2-0.

Steve Morison could have trebled Millwall's advantage on the half-hour mark, but curled his shot narrowly over the crossbar.

Wallace forced a good save from Logan shortly after as The Lions upped the ante, but the lively Mendez Laing was to get Dale back in the game on 34 minutes, striking low past Archer.

One minute before half-time, the scores were level. A well-worked free-kick saw an initial shot saved by Archer - however, Ian Henderson was on hand to poke home the equaliser from close range.

Nine minutes into the second-half, Rochdale took the lead. A corner-kick was cleared straight into the path of Callum Camps, who rifled home past Archer off the post.

With just 13 minutes remaining, The Lions levelled the scores in a topsy-turvy encounter. Outstanding work from Gregory down the right-hand side culminated in a shot being saved by Logan, but Wallace was handily-placed to tap home the rebound and score his first goal since returning on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Tony Craig and Gregory had chances to win the game for Millwall late on, but the final whistle blew shortly after, with both sides settling for a point following a frantic night at Spotland.

Rochdale: Logan, McNulty, Canavan, McGahey, Vincenti (Rafferty, 78'), Andrew, Camps (Rathbone, 87'), Mendez Laing, Allen, Bunney, Henderson. Subs not used: McDermott, Wilson, Owusu, Morley, Kitching.

Bookings: Allen, Vincenti, McNulty

Scorers: Mendez Laing (34'), Henderson (45'), Camps (54')  

Millwall: Archer, Cummings (Romeo 62'), Craig, Williams, Gregory, Wallace, Butcher, Webster, Morison, O'Brien (Onyedinma, 89'), Cooper. Subs not used: King, Hutchinson, Worrall, Thompson, Ferguson.

Bookings: Butcher, Cooper, Craig

Scorers: Gregory (pen, 14'), O'Brien (25'), Wallace (77')

Referee: D England

Attendance: 2,334

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block