Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall 0-0 Bury

18 March 2017

Our take on a 15th League game unbeaten for Millwall...

Millwall and Bury battled to a goalless draw at The Den in Sky Bet League One on Saturday afternoon.

Lions boss Neil Harris made one change from the squad that exited the Emirates FA Cup at Tottenham Hotspur last Sunday, with Shane Ferguson replacing Aiden O'Brien in the starting XI.

In blustery SE16 conditions, The Lions asserted their authority early on and moved the ball around with fluidity, but the first shot of the game ended with Jed Wallace's looping effort landing on top of the net.

With 15 minutes on the clock, Bury goalkeeper Joe Murphy was tested for the first time, but he comfortably dealt with Steve Morison's rasping drive.

Ten minutes later, The Shakers were presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead as James Vaughan wriggled free, but Tony Craig covered an astonishing amount of ground to execute an outstanding last-ditch tackle, just as the striker was about to shoot.

A neat passage of play on 42 minutes allowed Morison a shot on goal, but he could only guide his effort past the post of Murphy.

The windy conditions showed no signs of letting up as the second half got underway and whilst that was not conducive to a free-flowing, attacking game, The Lions did continue to hunt down the opening goal. Morison was unlucky not to have poked the ball past Murphy, whilst Wallace was also in the thick of the action in the penalty area.

The lead could have been taken on 50 minutes, but after Wallace stung the palms of Murphy with an attempt, the resulting corner-kick bounced across to Jake Cooper, who could only direct his header over the crossbar.

Paul Caddis worked Tom King shortly before the hour-mark, but the stopper comfortably saved the former Birmingham City man's effort.

The Lions had the ball in the net on 68 minutes, but after Wallace's lung-busting run which took in over half the length of the pitch, his through ball found Morison in an offside position as he struck towards goal.

Byron Webster had a header saved on 78 minutes following Shaun Williams' corner-kick, whilst at the other end, substitute Hallam Hope's deflected effort fortunately found its way into the hands of King.

With ten minutes remaining, Morison sent Lee Gregory through, but the striker's snap-shot was well saved by Murphy.

Millwall had the late pressure, but could not carve out an opening, instead having to settle for a draw - a point that extends The Lions' unbeaten run in the League to 15 games.

Millwall: King, Cummings (Worrall, 88'), Craig, Williams, Thompson (Butcher, 78'), Gregory, Wallace, Webster, Ferguson (O'Brien, 68'), Morison, Cooper. Subs not used: Girling, Hutchinson, Romeo, Onyedinma.

Booking: Wallace

Bury: Murphy, Leigh, Burgess, Kay, Tutte (Bryan, 11'), Vaughan, Mellis, Barnett, Moore, Lowe (Hope, 57'), Caddis. Subs not used: Pope, Lainton, Miller, Styles, Pennant.

Booking: Murphy

Attendance: 9,041 (223)

Referee: Gavin Ward

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block