Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Charlton Athletic 0-0 Millwall

14 January 2017

Read our take on events at The Valley

Millwall came away from The Valley with a hard-earned point on Saturday afternoon as both teams played out a goalless draw.

Neil Harris named an unchanged side for the sixth successive game - a run that stretches back to the reverse fixture at The Den in December.

A typically frenetic opening saw both sets of fans get behind their team, but with no action of note in front of goal. On seven minutes, Tony Craig sent a ball over the top towards Lee Gregory. The striker shrugged off his marker, but could not direct his lob into the net, instead placing it just wide.

Three minutes later, Charlton's Josh Magennis had to be withdrawn from the game early, as after an aerial challenge with Shaun Hutchinson, the striker went down injured and had to be stretchered off. He was replaced by Tony Watt. Jordan Archer was called into action twice in quick succession shortly after as the home side looked to probe an opening, but he comfortably dealt with Joe Aribo and Nathan Byrne's low drives.

On 22 minutes, The Lions had a chance to nudge themselves in front following Steve Morison's cross, but Gregory and Aiden O'Brien were unable to convert following good Charlton defending. Millwall upped the pressure from there and perhaps could have taken the lead in the 25th minute, but Byron Webster was unable to get enough purchase on a header from a Shaun Williams free-kick. 

The Addicks suffered more injury woe shortly before the half-hour mark, as new signing Lewis Page also had to withdraw through injury - he was replaced by another new recruit in Jay Dasilva. Ben Thompson became the first player into the book on 31 minutes for a foul on Byrne in the centre-circle. A spell of attacking play from Charlton following the resulting free-kick ended with Archer palming away Byrne's half-volley.

Two minutes later, Shaun Williams showed incredible vision to hit a raking pass over the top of The Addicks defence in the direction of Morison, but Declan Rudd just beat the striker to the ball as he looked to lob the goalkeeper.

Chances were few and far between in the final 15 minutes of the half, meaning that the game was goalless as Stroud blew his half-time whistle.

The second-half was only two minutes old when, in similar vain to Morison's earlier chance, Gregory chased after a ball over the top, but once more, Rudd rescued Charlton before the striker could pounce. The ball was in the Millwall net on 51 minutes, but Stroud ruled out the goal due to a push on Hutchinson. Just a minute later, substitute Watt looked fortunate to escape with just a yellow card after a high foul on Craig.

Charlton had the ball in the net once more on 58 minutes, but Watt's goal was disallowed due to fouling Archer as he went to kick upfield. With the final half-hour approaching and the game beginning to open up, Onyedinma's lung-bursting run almost carved an opening, but his cross was blocked. 

Harris sent on David Worrall and Shane Ferguson as The Lions looked for a different option and on 72 minutes, it nearly worked, as Ferguson thrashed a shot just wide of Rudd's post. With 15 minutes to go, Morison's goal-bound effort was cleared by Teixeira, with Hutchinson's header from the rebound falling just wide.

As the tempo of the game went up a notch, Gregory carried the ball from the halfway line to the edge of the penalty area, but shot wide, whilst a succession of corners ended with Webster heading wide from 12 yards out.

Five minutes from time, Millwall came agonisingly close to taking the lead, as Gregory rose well to head just wide of the far post from a Williams free-kick by the corner flag.

That was the last meaningful opportunity, but the game had one big incident left, when Teixeira was shown a second yellow card after the final whistle following a coming together with Morison.

Charlton: Rudd, Page (Dasilva, 28' (Holmes, 81')), Chicksen, Bauer, Crofts, Magennis (Watt, 14'), Konsa, Solly, Byrne, Aribo, Teixeira. Subs not used: Phillips, Johnson, Ulvestad, Forster-Caskey.

Bookings: Teixeira, Solly

Sent off: Teixeira

Millwall: Archer, Cummings, Hutchinson, Craig, Williams, Thompson, Gregory, Onyedinma (Worrall, 66'), Webster, Morison, O'Brien (Ferguson, 66'). Subs not used: King, Romeo, Butcher, Abdou, Smith.

Bookings: Thompson, Williams, Webster, Gregory

Referee: Keith Stroud

Attendance: 15,315 (3,169)

Advertisement block