Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Bradford City 1-1 Millwall

21 January 2017

Our take on events at The Northern Commercials Stadium

Bradford City and Millwall played out a 1-1 draw at The Northern Commercials Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Lee Gregory opened the scoring for The Lions on 50 minutes, but left-back James Meredith leveled for the home side 10 minutes later. The result means Millwall are unbeaten in seven games.

Neil Harris made one change to his side for the first time in seven games, as Jake Cooper replaced Shaun Hutchinson at the heart of defence.

There were half-chances at both ends in the early stages, but the first clear-cut opportunity fell the way of The Lions.

Shaun Williams' corner found Steve Morison unmarked at the back post, but his vicious volley was expertly tipped over by Colin Doyle in the Bradford goal.

On 17 minutes, Jordan Archer was called into action for the first time, as he palmed away Josh Cullen's rasping drive from around 20 yards out. The Bantams were in the ascendancy and after Archer saved a further shot, Alex Jones fired wide in the 22nd minute.

Four minutes later, Gregory timed his run well to break the offside trap, but couldn't steer his shot towards goal, instead firing over the crossbar.

The Lions were incredibly unfortunate not to take the lead shortly before the half-hour mark, as they struck the bar twice in quick succession from debutant Cooper and Gregory following a Williams corner. 

Williams nearly turned from provider to scorer seven minutes before the break, but scuffed his shot wide of Doyle's post. Mark Marshall proved a thorn in the side of The Lions' defence for the duration of the first-half and nearly danced his way through to goal in the 42nd minute, but he was blocked by Byron Webster just before pulling the trigger.

The Bantams struck the woodwork themselves in the final minute of the half, as Dieng's looping header landed on the top of Archer's crossbar.

The second-half was only five minutes old when The Lions nudged themselves in front. The ball fell at the feet of Gregory just outside the six yard box and after the striker battled well, he found a gap in The Bantams defence to slot home across Doyle for his 11th of the campaign.

Ten minutes later, however, the home side were level. Marshall's low cross evaded everyone and found Meredith at the back post, who converted despite the best efforts of the Millwall back line. 

Harris made a double substitution with twenty minutes remaining, as Shane Ferguson and returning loanee Jed Wallace replaced Aiden O'Brien and Fred Onyedinma, but it was Bradford who should have taken the lead a few minutes later, as the impressive Marshall flashed a shot just wide of Archer's goal.

As both sets of fans raised the volume a few notches, Morison was unlucky with a diving header from Ferguson's cross that nestled into the arms of Doyle. 

Unbeaten at home this season, The Bantams upped the ante in the last quarter of an hour, but The Lions defence stood firm to claim a well-earned point,

Bradford City: Doyle, Meredith, Law (Clarke, 78'), Vincelot, Marshall, Cullen, Jones (Hiwula, 67'), Knight-Percival, McArdle, Kilgallon (Dieng, 32'), McMahon. Subs not used: Sattelmaier, Darby, Gilliead, Devine.

Scorer: Meredith 60'

Bookings: Knight-Percival, McMahon   

Millwall: Archer, Cummings, Craig, Williams, Thompson, Gregory, Onyedinma (Wallace, 70), Webster, Morison, O'Brien (Ferguson, 69'), Cooper. Subs not used: King, Romeo, Worrall, Abdou.

Scorer: Gregory 50'

Bookings: Williams, Gregory, Ferguson

Referee: Mark Brown

Attendance: 17,712 (401)

Advertisement block