Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall 2-0 Port Vale

14 February 2017

Our take on a dominant win for The Lions

Goals from Aiden O'Brien and Jake Cooper eased Millwall to a 2-0 win over Port Vale on Tuesday night.

Neil Harris made one change from last Saturday's 1-0 win over Southend United, with Shaun Williams returning to the side in place of Jimmy Abdou, who dropped to the bench.

The Lions started the brighter and nearly worked their way into the lead on 7 minutes, but Fred Onyedinma's cross agonisingly evaded everyone and flashed across the face of goal.

One minute later, Williams sent a searching ball over the top for Onyedinma, but he was just unable to control it in his stride. Steve Morison also tested Vale goalkeeper Leonardo Fasan, whilst O'Brien's vicious shot flashed just wide as Millwall ramped up the early pressure.

The Lions continued to threaten, but Morison could only plant his header straight into the arms of Fasan on 19 minutes. 

Morison was involved in the majority of Millwall's forward play and nearly scored an exquisite goal 25 minutes in, as he beautifully controlled Tony Craig's long ball and spun, but his shot was saved once more by Fasan.

Barely 60 seconds had passed, however, when The Lions took the lead. O'Brien took advantage of a small bout of pinball inside the penalty area and slotted home for his 12th goal of the season.

The home side didn't rest on their laurels, however, and nearly doubled their lead in extra ordinary circumstances in the 32nd minute. Morison controlled a Cooper long-ball, beat his marker and curled in an inviting cross for the head of Onyedinma, but his goal-bound header was just plucked out of the sky by Fasan.

Morison, Cooper and O'Brien all had opportunities to score following Williams' corner five minutes later, but the latter skied his attempt from just outside the six-yard box.

Port Vale almost got back into the game on the stroke of half-time, as Danny Pugh's shot from just outside the penalty area skimmed the top of the net.

The second-half was just five minutes old when The Lions were presented with a golden opportunity to go two to the good. Kjell Knops hauled down Jed Wallace, leading to referee Darren Drysdale pointing to the penalty spot.

Morison struck his kick low to the right, but Fasan was once again on hand to foil the striker, palming his penalty away for a corner. 

The respite lasted no more than a mere few seconds for Vale, however, as from the resulting corner-kick, Cooper powered a header over the line, doubling Millwall's lead and scoring his second goal since arriving on loan from Reading.

The Lions were rampant and could have put the game out of the visitors' sight shortly before the hour-mark, but Onyedinma's shot was tipped over once more by the impressive Fasan.

Shane Ferguson, fresh from signing a new contract at the club, was introduced by Harris with just under twenty minutes to go, as he replaced the once again excellent Onyedinma. Harry Smith also returned to the starting line-up in place of Morison.

Fasan once more denied The Lions on 84 minutes, as Worrall's goal-bound header was batted away by the stopper. 

That was the last action of note in a game that The Lions dominated from start to finish. The result keeps Millwall inside Sky Bet League One's top six and extends the unbeaten run to 12 matches.

Millwall: Archer, Cummings, Craig, Williams, Onyedinma (Ferguson, 73'), Wallace, Butcher, Webster, Morison (Smith, 72'), O'Brien (Worrall, 76'), Cooper. Subs not used: King, Romeo, Martin, Abdou.

Booking: Williams

Scorers: O'Brien 26', Cooper 52'

Port Vale: Fasan, Purkiss, Streete (Tanser, 34'), Knops, Foley, Pugh, Smith, Guy, Walker (Forrester, 83'), De Freitas (Shodipo, 56'), Hooper. Subs not used: Boot, Eagles, Kelly, Brown.

Attendance: 7,042 (122)

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block