Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Robins and Lions play out a goalless draw at Ashton Gate

Our report from the West Country...

19 August 2017

Bristol City and Millwall played out a goalless draw at Ashton Gate in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon.

Lions boss Neil Harris opted to stick with the team that narrowly lost 4-3 to Ipswich Town at The Den on Tuesday night, with the only change coming on the substitutes' bench, as Ryan Tunnicliffe, the seventh and final summer signing, from Fulham took the place of Ben Thompson.

The Lions started brightly and forced a corner in the first minute, but after the kick was cleared away, Jed Wallace could only shoot wide. The winger then hit the side-netting two minutes later.

Millwall forced an incredible eight corner-kicks within the first 15 minutes of the game, but could not find a way past Frankie Fielding in the City goal.

Lee Gregory capitalised on some nervous Bristol defending on 27 minutes and sent Steve Morison through, but with Conor McLaughlin and Wallace waiting for a pass, the striker opted to shoot, allowing bodies to get back in position and block.

McLaughlin's delightful ball over the top set Gregory into a foot race with Fielding on 34 minutes, but the goalkeeper just beat the frontman to the ball with his fist as the striker looked to head into an empty net.

As the corner count reached double figures, the chances at either end began to flow - McLaughlin and Hutchinson stood firm to City efforts, whilst at the other end, Wallace had a long-range effort blocked.

George Saville's precision pass found Morison two minutes before the break, with the striker crossing first time for Gregory, but his goal-bound effort was blocked. A succession of - you guessed it - corner-kicks followed, but the score remained goalless.

There was a controversial moment in the dying embers of the first-half as Famara Diedhiou lashed out at Wallace and appeared to strike him across the face, but referee Darren England was lenient, dishing out a yellow card.

The second-half was just over a minute old when Jordan Archer was called into action for the first time, tipping Bobby Reid's attempt wide of the post. The corner-kick eventually made its way to the back post, but Archer was equal to Nathan Baker's effort on goal.

With 69 minutes on the clock, The Lions had their best opportunity of the afternoon. A miskicked Bristol City clearance saw the ball land at the feet of Gregory on the edge of the penalty area after twisting and turning through the defence, the striker's effort rebounded back into the path of Saville, who forced a save at full-stretch from Fielding.

The home side smacked the crossbar on 72 minutes and with the Ashton gate crowd awoken, both sides' levels clicked up a gear. Wallace should have done better with just a defender to beat, but took one too many touches and allowed the ball to get away from his grasp.

Two substitutes combined on 83 minutes as Shane Ferguson's free-kick was met by Tom Elliott, but the attacker's header crashed against the post.

In the final action of the game, Saville's shot was destined for the back of the net, but Bailey Wright expertly threw his body in the way to block.

Bristol City: Fielding, Pisano, Bryan, Wright, Baker, Smith, Brownhill (O'Dowda 60'), Diedhiou (Woodrow 70'), Reid, Paterson, Pack (O'Neil 60'). Subs not used: Lucic, Eliasson, Magnusson, Hegeler.

Bookings: Diedhiou, Brownhill, Reid

Millwall: Archer, McLaughlin, Meredith, Hutchinson, Williams, Gregory (Elliott 79'), Wallace (Ferguson 82'), Webster, Morison, O'Brien (Onyedinma 63'), Saville. Subs not used: King, Craig, Tunnicliffe, Cooper.

Booking: O'Brien, Morison

Referee: Darren England

Attendance: 18,230 (1,174)

Advertisement block