Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Shrewsbury Town 1-2 Millwall

4 April 2017

Webster and Hutchinson hand Lions victory...

Goals from the centre-back pairing of Byron Webster and Shaun Hutchinson earned Millwall a vital 2-1 victory at Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday evening in Sky Bet League One.

Webster turned and shot in the first-half to give The Lions the lead, with Hutchinson scrambling home the second with 13 minutes to play.

Shaun Whalley scored a consolation for The Shrews late on.

Neil Harris opted to remain unchanged from the side that expertly dispatched Scunthorpe United on Saturday afternoon at The Den, with Aiden O'Brien and Steve Morison retaining their places in attack in the absence of Lee Gregory.

Three minutes in, The Lions had their first opportunity of the game, but Morison's effort flashed wide of the post.

Five minutes later, The Shrews had a chance of their own to take the lead, but Shaun Whalley headed over under pressure from Hutchinson.

Jed Wallace opened up the Shrewsbury defence on 14 minutes, but after his through ball to Morison, the striker could only strike wide once more.

As the 25-minute mark struck, Wallace attacked the home defence with success, but his cross agonisingly rolled across goal without a Lions touch - one which surely would have given the visitors the lead.

Ten minutes from the end of the first-half, The Lions took the lead through an unlikely source.

A Tony Craig free-kick found Morison on the edge of the area, who chested down and sent Webster through with precision. Webster controlled and turned, before unleashing an effort on goal that nestled in the bottom corner of Jayson Leutwiler's net.

On 43 minutes, the lead was almost doubled, but Leutwiler scrambled to palm Ben Thompson's deflected shot away for a corner-kick. 

The opening 20 minutes of the second-half was an even affair with few chances in front of goal, but on 69 minutes, Morison found O'Brien in space in the penalty area. However, the Irishman was unable to convert, with a flurry of Shrewsbury defenders instead making up enough ground.

The match began to open up as the last 15 minutes came into sight, with Morison shooting across goal as Millwall looked for the decisive second.

On 77 minutes, The Lions got just that.

Shane Ferguson swung a free-kick into the box and after an almighty scramble, the final touch appeared to come off of Hutchinson, who scored his first goal for the club.

As the clock struck 90 minutes, Shrewsbury got themselves on the score-sheet. Tom King got a hand to Whalley's shot, but the ball somehow made its way over the line via a deflection.

A nervy five minutes of stoppage-time followed, but The Lions stood firm to claim a priceless win in their pursuit of a Play-Off place in Sky Bet League One.

Shrewsbury Town: Leutwiler, Riley (Grimmer, 36'), Sadler, Whalley, Brown, Morris, Deegan, Ladapo (Roberts, 68' (Humphrys, 77')), Nsiala, Rodman, Payne. Subs not used: Halstead, Humphrys, Dodds, Leitch-Smith, El-Abd.

Booking: Rodman

Scorer: Whalley (90')

Millwall: King, Hutchinson, Craig, Williams, Thompson, Romeo, Wallace (Worrall, 81'), Webster, Ferguson (Butcher, 86'), Morison, O'Brien (Onyedinma, 70'). Subs not used: Girling, Cummings, Cooper, Abdou.

Bookings: Morison, Hutchinson. Craig

Scorers: Webster (35'), Hutchinson (77')

Referee: M. Haywood

Attendance: 4,712 (330)

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block