Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall 3-1 Scunthorpe United

1 April 2017

Comfortable Den win for Lions...

Goals from Shaun Williams (pen), Shane Ferguson and Aiden O'Brien eased Millwall to a comfortable 3-1 victory over Scunthorpe United at The Den on Saturday afternoon.

Williams opened the scoring from the spot as early as the 3rd minute, before Ferguson and O'Brien notched in the second-half to hand The Lions three much-needed points.

Matt Crooks nodded home a consolation for The Iron with the last kick of the game.

Millwall boss Neil Harris made four changes to his starting line-up in the wake of Tuesday night's 2-0 defeat at League leaders Sheffield United.

One was enforced, as Tom King replaced the injured Jordan Archer in goal, with Shaun Hutchinson, Steve Morison and O'Brien replacing Jake Cooper, Lee Gregory and Fred Oneydinma.

The Lions had a half chance as early as the 1st minute, but Jed Wallace's effort from just outside the penalty area was deflected wide for a Millwall corner.

However, from the resulting kick, the ball broke to Hutchinson, who was brought down inside the box, leaving referee Nigel Miller with no choice but to point to the penalty spot.

In the absence of Gregory, Williams stepped up and dispatched his kick low to Joe Anyon's right, despite the goalkeeper getting a hand to the ball, to give the home side the lead.

On 15 minutes, Scunthorpe were presented with their first opportunity to get on the score-sheet, but Josh Morris could only curl his free-kick wide of the post.

As the atmosphere inside The Den cranked up a notch, The Lions had further half-chances to extend the lead, but Wallace and Morison were unable to connect at the critical moment. At the other end, Ivan Toney looked the most likely Scunthorpe player to pick the Millwall lock.

On 37 minutes, superb work from the trio of Wallace, Morison and Mahlon Romeo found the onrushing Ferguson. However, the Northern Irishman could only balloon his effort over the crossbar from inside the six-yard box.

On the stroke of half-time, Ferguson once more had an attempt on goal - this time from around 25-yards out - but fizzed his shot wide.

The second-half was merely a minute old when King was called into action. Toney chested the ball down and unleashed a dipping drive from 25-yards out, but the stopper was equal to it, tipping it over the crossbar.

Just 90 seconds later, the lead could have been doubled through Wallace. Morison's flick-on found O'Brien who, after good work and quick feet, crossed into the penalty area. After a couple of ricochets, the ball fell at the feet of the loanee, who struck over from six-yards out. 

Toney made King work again on 53 minutes, as the striker's powerful free-kick was palmed away by the goalkeeper for a corner-kick.

Four minutes later, the Lions lead was doubled.

The impressive Wallace created space for a cross on the right-hand side and in doing so, found Ferguson at the back post. The winger bundled home from a few yards out for his fourth goal of the campaign.

On 68 minutes, O'Brien put The Lions 3-0 up.

Williams' searching ball found Ferguson, who in turn sent Tony Craig down the left-hand side. The defender's cross found the Irishman inside the box, who expertly turned home to send Millwall three to the good.

Townsend tested King on 73 minutes as The Iron looked for a way back into the match, but the goalkeeper comfortably held on to the ball.

With the last kick of the game, Matt Crooks scored a consolation for Scunthorpe, but The Lions have now extended their unbeaten run at The Den to 14 games.

Millwall: King, Hutchinson, Craig, Williams, Thompson, Romeo, Wallace (Worrall, 74'), Webster, Ferguson (Onyedinma, 76'), Morison, O'Brien (Butcher, 80'). Subs not used: Girling, Cummings, Cooper, Abdou.

Bookings: Morison, Worrall

Scorers: Williams (3', pen), Ferguson (57') , O'Brien (68')

Scunthorpe United: Anyon, Wallace, Mirfin, Dawson, Madden (Davies, 74'), Morris, Townsend, Toney (Adelakun, 75'), Ness, Crooks, Sutton. Subs not used: Watson, Bishop, Toffolo, Burdett, Dyche.

Booking: Sutton

Scorer: Crooks (90+4')

Referee: Nigel Miller

Attendance: 9,788 (301)

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block