Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall U23s 1-0 Nottingham Forest U23s

19 September 2016

Full-time score from The Den

Fred Onyedinma's superb second-half strike earned Millwall U23s victory over Nottingham Forest - their first Professional Development League win of the season.

The young Lions, who were brimming with senior squad experience, roared back to winning ways with a promising performance.

Onyedinma's brilliant solo goal in the 69th minute was all that separated the two sides and is sure to give senior boss Neil Harris a selection headache as the attacker stakes his claim for a return to League One action.

Nottingham Forest U23s took early control in midfield but endured an anxious moment when a quick counter attack in the ninth minute had the nimble Jamie Philpot bearing down on the visitors goal. He squared the ball for Harry Smith, who took a touch and fired a shot that required an acrobatic save from Tim Erlandsson.

Eleven minutes later Erlandsson should have been tested again as Fred Onyedinma struck a curling shot inches over the crossbar.

Confusion in the backline led to the away side's best chance of the opening period. Aaron Smith escaped down the flank and the Forest flyer would have been in on goal if Shaun Cummings hadn't tracked back to intercept the ball with a lunging challenge on the edge of the area. 

It highlighted an industrious performance from the right-back, who played extended minutes for the first time since February as part of his rehabilitation from a long-term knee injury.

It appeared Paul Rooney's afternoon would be cut short when he called for medical attention after crashing to the ground while trying to connect with a dipping Cummings free-kick. But the defender returned to the field with added vigour to ensure the both sides went to the break all square at 0-0.

Justin Skinner's side were fortunate not to fall behind early in the second-half. A bullish Virgil Gomis broke through the Millwall's resistance in the 53rd minute, skirted past keeper Tom King, before smashing his shot into the side netting when facing an empty goal.

It was an opportunity Nottingham Forest would come to rue as Onyedinma's solo brilliance fifteen minutes later pulled the home side ahead. The winger received the ball on the edge of the area, shimmied past the flat-footed defence before poking an inch-perfect shot into the bottom corner.

Forest mounted an aerial siege in the final ten minutes, coming closest when Joe Worrall buried a rehearsed free-kick past the reach of Tom King, only to be ruled offside.

Millwall: King, Cummings (Brown, 60'), Chesmain, Abdou, Nelson, Rooney, Onyedinma, Farrell, Smith (Twardek, 77') , Philpot, Wylde. Subs not used: Girling, Donovan, Bray

Advertisement block