Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Noel Leighton at the double as young Lions draw with Tigers

12 September 2016

Striker's goal-den form continues for Millwall U18s against Hull City U18s

In-form forward Noel Leighton made it five goals in five games for Millwall U18s as the young Lions shared the points with Hull City U18s in a 2-2 Professional Development League match at Calmont Road.

Leighton, who also scored his first goal for Millwall's U23s in midweek, took just five minutes to get off the mark on Saturday morning.

Hull had stunned their hosts by forging ahead after four minutes when Taylor Hamilton hit a low shot beyond the reach of keeper Ryan Sandford.

But just 60 seconds later The Lions were back on level terms following patient build-up play involving Eze Ebuzoeme and Lewis White. The duo combined expertly to create an opportunity for Leighton, who finished off the move with a crisp drive that gave Johnny Saltmer no chance in the visiting goal.

Millwall pressed hard and within five minutes had edged 2-1 ahead. This time an excellent through ball from Lewis White split the Hull defence, Leighton collected the ball, advanced forward and steered his effort into the back of the net for his second goal of the game.

It could have been 3-1 on 26 minutes following a neat move that saw right-back Danny McNamara's cross flicked on by Leighton to Mason Saunders, whose effort was hacked off the line.

White and Leighton were involved in another promising move on 35 minutes, but on this occasion keeper Saltmer reacted smartly to thwart the attack.

At the other end a super stop from Sandford denied Billy Chadwick as Hull came close to a leveller.

However the visitors did haul themselves back on equal terms moments before the break when a defensive mix-up left Mason Wilson-Rhiney with time and space to plant the ball into an empty net.

In an even second-half, both teams tightened up defensively and scoring chances were at a premium.

Lions sub Matt Day went closest to clinching a winner when he headed over from close range after 53 minutes but was later replaced by Jethro Hanson after a heavy collision with the Hull goalkeeper.

Despite forcing a number of late corners, Millwall were unable to convert their pressure into further goals and in the end had to settle for a draw.

Millwall: Sanford, McNamara, Tiensia, Wicks, Green, Strachan, Olaofe, Ebuzoeme, Leighton, White, Saunders-Henry (Day, 46mins (Hanson 73mins). Subs not used: Queeley, Jackson, Debrah.

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block