Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Unbeaten League record

10 May 2016

Millwall years 1960 - 1992

The sixties witnessed a revival at Cold Blow Lane. Promoted as Champions in 1962, it was to prove a false dawn as relegation followed two years later. But the resurgence began immediately, as Millwall finished Runners-Up in Division Four in 1965 and then won promotion for the second successive season to Division Two in 1966. 

The Lions were formidable at The Den during this period setting a record of 59 home League games unbeaten in December 1966.

Manager Benny Fenton was building a side capable of challenging for First Division status around Lions legends such as Barry Kitchener, Harry Cripps, Keith Weller and Derek Possee. 

Millwall fans thought their team had achieved its goal after beating Preston 2-0 in the last game of the 1971-72 season. Reports of the scoreline from the Birmingham v Sheffield Wednesday game proved to be inaccurate and City went on to clinch the second promotion spot by beating Orient a few days later.

As Fenton's side disintegrated Millwall began the slide which led to relegation in 1975. The Lions were immediately promoted at the first attempt (finishing third in Division Three) but were relegated again two years later.

The arrival of three key figures at The Den in the early eighties signalled another up-turn in the club's fortunes. In 1981, Keith Stevens made his League debut against Oxford United and went on to play over 550 senior games for the Club, a total bettered only by Barry Kitchener who made his 602nd and final appearance for Millwall in 1982.

George Graham took over as manager during the  1982/83 season, and after saving the club from relegation set about a major rebuilding project.

A young striker named Teddy Sheringham (right) made his debut the following year and in 1985 Millwall were back in the Second Division after finishing as Third Division Runners-Up once more.

Graham's departure for Arsenal proved only a temporary setback, as new manager John Docherty guided his side to the Second Division championship on an unforgettable afternoon in Hull on May 2nd 1988, and First Division football for the first time in the Club's history. 

A potent strike-force of Sheringham and Cascarino led The Lions to the top of the League with a 3-2 win over QPR at The Den on October 1st 1988. Ultimately Millwall finished tenth in their first season in the top flight.

Sadly, it all went badly wrong the following season, when after topping the table once more following a win over Coventry in September, The Lions failed to win any of their last twenty League games and were relegated. 

New boss Bruce Rioch almost led the Club back to the top flight via the Play-Off's, but they lost out to Brighton in May 1991. Teddy Sheringham set a new club goalscoring record with 38 before leaving for Nottingham Forest.

Within ten months Rioch's spell in charge was over, his resignation paving the way for Mick McCarthy to take over in 1992.

Advertisement block