Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Millwall v Crewe Alexandra

30 January 2016

Report | Millwall 1-1 Crewe Alexandra

Lee Gregory scored one penalty and missed another as Millwall had to settle for a 1-1 draw against Crewe Alexandra at The Den on Saturday afternoon.

Brad Inman gave the visitors the lead against the run of play after 59 minutes with a spot-kick of his own before Gregory found the bottom corner from 12 yards to equalise.

The Millwall striker then had a golden opportunity to secure a fourth straight League win for The Lions two minutes from time but saw his second penalty rebound against the post.

It was the visitors who carved out the game's first chance inside the opening minute when Marcus Haber nodded down for George Cooper inside the box, but thankfully Lions keeper Jordan Archer was quicker to the loose ball and gathered at the second attempt.

The hosts had their first half-chance after seven minutes when Lee Gregory received the ball from out wide, but the in-form striker couldn't quite work a shooting opportunity before Crewe cleared the danger.

Neil Harris' side enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges, putting Crewe under pressure with a succession of crosses into the box before Shaun Cummings and Shaun Williams both tested keeper Ben Garratt with efforts from distance. Irish midfielder Williams was then involved in a move which ended with fellow countryman Aiden O'Brien having a shot saved from just outside the six-yard box.

Loanee Jed Wallace was looking bright down the right wing and it was his cross after 20 minutes which Lee Gregory headed just over as The Lions searched for what would have been a deserved opener.

Millwall's best attacking moments were being orchestrated by Williams, who again showed terrific vision to find Gregory over the top, but he couldn't make the most of his chance with Garratt again equal to the striker's effort after 26 minutes.

The travelling Crewe supporters had to wait until just after the half-hour mark for their first meaningful effort on goal when Cooper curled a shot over the bar from 20 yards shortly before team-mate James Jones tested Archer with a powerful strike from the same distance.

But it was The Lions who could and probably should have gone into the interval with the lead when Morison set Gregory free down the left, only for the striker's cross on the counter to be turned wide by Wallace in space at the far post. Skipper Morison then had an even better chance to find the net before the half was up but saw a low effort well saved by Garratt.

The second period started slowly as both sides looked to try and take control proceedings, though two crosses from Shane Ferguson did cause the Crewe defence problems before Wallace fired over with his left.

But the game really sparked into life after 59 minutes when Crewe took the lead from the penalty spot. The away side found space in behind the Millwall defence with Cooper, who was fouled by keeper Archer, and referee Christopher Kavanagh had no hesitation when pointing to the spot. Inman stepped up and found the top corner, much to the delight of the 334 away fans behind the goal.

Just six minutes later, however, it was 1-1, with The Lions making the most of a penalty award which went their way. Byron Webster was adjudged to have been fouled when going for a header inside the box and Gregory sent Garratt the wrong way from 12 yards to score his 15th goal of the campaign so far.

The two goals opened the game up and The Lions almost made the most of that with 12 minutes left when Morison, in space down the right, ran at Nugent before playing the ball into the path of Wallace, who fired just over the bar from inside the box.

Millwall spurned the opportunity to win the game in the 87th minute when the referee awarded a third penalty of the game, this time for handball from Oliver Turton, but Gregory fired his second spot-kick of the afternoon against the post, forcing The Lions to settle for a point.

Millwall: Archer, Cummings, Webster, Beevers, Ferguson, Wallace, Abdou, Williams, O'Brien, Gregory, Morison

Subs not used: Forde, Nelson, Martin, Thompson, Upson, Onyedinma, Marquis

Goalscorers: Gregory 65' (penalty)

Bookings: Archer 59', Williams 88'

Crewe: Garratt, Turton, Guthrie, Nugent, Haber, Inman, Cooper (Ng, 90'), Fox, Jones, Ajayi, Bakayogo (Seager, 80')

Subs not used: Richards, Saunders, Baillie, Ainley, Howell

Goalscorers: Inman 59' (penalty)

Bookings: Nugent 63', Ajayi 86'

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh

Attendance: 9,044 (334)

Advertisement block