Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall 3-0 Peterborough United

20 February 2016

Full-time score from The Den

A Steve Morison brace either side of another goal for Lee Gregory helped Millwall to an impressive 3-0 victory over Peterborough United at The Den on Saturday.

Morison handed The Lions the lead with a simple header during the first-half before Gregory added a second early in the second period. Skipper Morison then completed his brace on the hour mark with a powerful header.

The visitors enjoyed the game's first attack but Jon Taylor's wide free-kick failed to trouble the Millwall defence before Jed Wallace charged down the right and crossed for Gregory, whose effort was blocked inside the penalty area.

Intent on starting the game on the front foot, The Lions showed terrific energy in the opening exchanges and opened up Peterborough twice in quick succession; first when Morison's pass just evaded the touch of Jimmy Abdou and secondly when Shane Ferguson won possession high up the pitch and fed Joe Martin, whose cross towards Gregory was cleared.

In the 13th minute, though, the away side almost took the lead in extremely bizarre circumstances when Mark Beevers inadvertently looped a back pass up high up in the air, forcing Lions keeper Jordan Archer to quickly retreat and acrobatically head the ball off of his line and out for a corner.

That did little to disrupt Millwall's positive start to the game and The Lions should have been ahead after 21 minutes when Ferguson's corner was headed towards Gregory, who volleyed over the bar from close range, albeit under pressure from his marker.

Peterborough had the ball in the net soon after that chance when Erhun Oztumer's flick on was turned in by Souleymane Coulibaly, but the Posh striker was flagged offside.

Millwall were enjoying plenty of time and space going forward and Wallace was unfortunate to miscontrol inside the box with Gregory lurking at the back post for his centre.

But the home crowd had to wait less than two more minutes to see their side deservedly open the scoring. Ferguson won possession and charged through the centre before playing in Gregory, whose shot was saved by Ben Alnwick before the striker returned the loose ball back in for Morison to head home from close range.

Peterborough boss Graham Westley made a double change at half-time, bringing on Jordan Nicholson and Shaquile Coulthirst, but the latter's first action was to clean out Wallace on the halfway line. Referee Michael Bull showed the substitute a yellow card when a red may have been more appropriate.

There was barely time for calm to be restored after that incident when Millwall doubled their advantage four minutes into the second-half. A free-kick into the area was flicked on by Beevers to Gregory, who headed home his 20th goal of the season.

Two could have been three just moments later when Wallace teed up Ferguson, whose effort from inside the box was saved by Alnwick.

The visitors were looking increasingly uncertain at the back and they were made to pay further for their defensive woes when Ferguson's corner was met by an unmarked Morison, who powered a header home for his second and Millwall's third of the afternoon after 62 minutes.

Peterborough were struggling all over the pitch but there was a warning sign for Millwall soon after the third when Marcus Maddison, on as their third and final substitute, tested Archer with a stinging long-range drive. At the other end, Morison was an inch away from connecting with Wallace's excellent cross as the striker searched for a hat-trick goal. That was to be the 32-year-old's last meaningful action, though, as John Marquis and Aiden O'Brien came on for him and fellow goalscorer Gregory.

And other than a long-range strike from Coulibaly, which Archer palmed away and then collected, Peterborough offered little by way of a comeback, allowing The Lions to comfortably ride out the closing stages for a morale-boosting victory.

Millwall: Archer, Romeo, Webster, Beevers, Martin, Wallace, Abdou, Thompson, Ferguson (Onyedinma, 86'), Gregory (O'Brien, 76'), Morison (Marquis, 73')

Subs not used: Forde, Nelson, Edwards, Powell

Goalscorers: Morison 30' & 62', Gregory 49'

Bookings: Gregory 66', Romeo 90'

Peterborough: Alnwick, Smith, Taylor, Bostwick, Oztumer (Coulthirst, 46'), Santos, Beautyman (Maddison, 57'), Coulibaly, Forrester, Samuelsen, Toffolo (Nicholson, 46')

Subs not used: Henry, Zakuani, Baldwin, Nichols

Bookings: Coulthirst 47', Beautyman 48', Bostwick 90'

Referee: Michael Bull

Attendance: 8,722 (763)

Advertisement block