Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall U21s 4-2 Barnsley U21s

11 April 2016

Full-time score from The Den

Tony Craig, Carlos Edwards, Fred Onyedinma and trialist Ashley Nadesan were on target as Millwall's Elite Development Squad recorded a 4-2 victory over Barnsley at The Den on Monday afternoon.

Charlie Harris scored a free-kick to hand Barnsley an early lead but The Lions turned the game around before half-time thanks to efforts from Craig and Edwards. Onyedinma added a third inside two minutes of the second period before Matty Templeton reduced the deficit, only for Nadesan to ensure victory late on.

The Lions almost took the lead inside four minutes when Jamie Philpot spotted Arron Murphy off his line, but the keeper recovered sufficiently to tip the striker's long-range chip behind for a corner, which the away side cleared.

And despite a promising start from the hosts, it was in fact Barnsley who took the lead and in some style as Harris' free-kick from the edge of the box struck the underside of the bar before hitting the back of the net inside the eighth minute.

Justin Skinner's side could and probably should have been level soon after, though, when Philpot was again denied by Murphy, this time from close range, before the striker shot wide when well positioned moments later.

But Millwall didn't have to wait long before finding a leveller when Christian Mbulu got a touch on a corner before Craig, playing at left-back, steered the ball into the bottom corner after 22 minutes.

The hosts quickly went in search of a second goal and it almost came on the half hour mark when Barnsley skipper Jack Cowgul, under pressure from Mbulu, headed against his own bar from a corner.

Millwall maintained their attacking intent and took a deserved lead after 38 minutes when Edwards fired into the bottom corner with a superb low drive from 30 yards.

And it was three inside two minutes of the second-half thanks to another stunning goal, this time from Onyedinma, who drifted infield before cutting back on to his preferred right foot and curling an unstoppable effort part Murphy into the top corner.

But in a game littered with moments of real quality, Barnsley reduced the deficit in the 54th minute when Templeton controlled well before firing a powerful left-footed strike past Harry Girling and in off the post.

Sudden heavy downpours began to make proceedings difficult for both teams but there was still no shortage of goalmouth action, with Ed Upson shooting just wide after Philpot's cross was turned into his path before the striker himself saw a low drive palmed away by Murphy.

But The Lions made sure of victory five minutes from time when Onyedinma controlled well before breaking down the right and crossing low into the box, where Nadesan was on hand to slot home and cap an impressive display from him and his team-mates.

Millwall: Girling, Edwards, Nelson, Mbulu (Chesmain, 46'), Craig, Onyedinma (White, 88'), Upson, Farrell, Twardek, Philpot, Nadesan. Subs not used: Barton, Brown, Donovan

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block