Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall U18s 3-2 Cardiff City U18s

4 April 2016

Three goals in the final 15 minutes secure superb victory

Mason Saunders crowned a sensational Millwall fightback with a late winner in this five-goal thriller at Calmont Road.

Cardiff roared into a 2-0 lead and looked to be heading for an awayday win, but the young Lions hit three goals in a dramatic final quarter of an hour to stun the visitors and claim victory.

In a starting XI packed with first year scholars, Millwall showed great tenacity and enthusiasm from the opening minute and were unlucky not to take the lead when James Fitzgerald's effort was blocked and then Matt Day (pictured) fired wide following a clever run and cross from Alex Mulrooney-Skinner.

A succession of inviting deliveries into the City 18-yard box also went begging whilst at the other end centre-half Ryan Green was on hand to make a perfectly time tackle on 30 minutes to deny Cardiff striker Mark Harris as he prepared to shoot with the visitors' first clear opportunity of the game.

They did, however, make no mistake when a second chance came along just before half-time and Harris fired home from close range to give them a 1-0 advantage.

Millwall were close to grabbing an equaliser seconds after the restart only for Cardiff keeper Scott Conlon to avert the danger after Noel Leighton had been played in by Junior Tiensa.

Minutes later both Fitzgerald and Saunders saw their close range efforts cleared, following which play quickly switched to the other end and The Lions conceded a second through Cardiff's James White.

That second goal was a real kick in the teeth to the young Lions, who responded magnificently and worked tirelessly to chip away at that two-goal deficit and clinch a memorable win.
By the 70th minute both Fitzgerald and Day had seen their goal-bound drives cleared off the line and five minutes later Millwall’s determined efforts paid off as Day reduced the deficit, prodding home following super play by Danny McNamara and Mulrooney-Skinner on the right.

Three minutes later Tiensa’s run and cross was met by sub Jesse Debrah, who hauled The Lions level with a a clinical finish.

Instead of sitting on their laurels, The Lions entered the final 10 minutes sensing that victory was theirs for the taking - and so it proved.

After a spell of relentless pressure, and with just three minutes remaining, Saunders put the icing on the cake when he burst into the penalty area and fired past goalkeeper Conlon to cap an excellent display. 
Millwall: Ryan Sandford, Danny McNamara, Junior Tiensa, Jethro Hanson (Eze Ebuzoeme, 46mins), James White, Ryan Green, Alex Mulrooney-Skinner, James Fitzgerald, Matt Day, Noel Leighton (Jesse Debrah, 75mins), Mason Saunders. Subs not used. Joe Wright, Joe Wicks, Tanzo Olaofe.

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block