Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 20/10/2015

20 October 2015

Full-time from Bloomfield Road

A late penalty from Blackpool's Jack Redshaw denied 10-man Millwall a fourth away win of the season as The Lions and Seasiders shared the spoils at Bloomfield Road. 

Neil Harris' men were heading towards their first victory at Blackpool in five attempts after defender Mark Beevers popped up on 35 minutes to fire home his fourth goal of the campaign. 

Although Blackpool came into the game more in the second-half, Millwall looked to have weathered the storm entering the final 10 minutes. 

However Carlos Edwards tangled with David Norris - an infringement deemed worthy of a straight red card by referee Nigel Miller, who also pointed to the penalty spot. Redshaw made no mistake to grab an 81st-minute equaliser and deny The Lions maximum points.

Lions boss Neil Harris stuck with the same starting Xl which began Saturday's win over Swindon Town as he looked to find a formula which would help his side return to winning ways on the road.

And it was Millwall who started right on the front foot, forcing a chance inside the opening 40 seconds as Shane Ferguson's cross from the left was headed just over by Steve Morison eight yards from goal.

The Northern Ireland international was again involved in the next attack for The Lions as he clipped the ball into Lee Gregory, whose fizzed cross from the left-hand side of the box was flicked narrowly wide by Aiden O'Brien.

Harris' men were enjoying plenty of possession early on, especially in Blackpool's half, as they tried to force an early opener. In the 11th minute another chance came their way when a long ball forward from Beevers was controlled expertly by Gregory, who couldn't quite work a shooting angle after turning neatly on the edge of the box.

Blackpool had to wait until the 22nd minute for their first chance of the game as Jim McAlister, in a pocket of space down the left, fired a powerful half-volley over Jordan Archer's bar.

That effort was the catalyst for Blackpool's first sustained spell of attacking pressure in the game but Archer was equal to Mark Cullen's deflected effort, palming it onto the crossbar and then claiming the loose ball before Jack Redshaw could tap home.

But the home side couldn't capitalise on that bright spell and were made to pay when Beevers opened the scoring 35 minutes in. It all started when Morison flicked the ball beyond Clark Robertson, charged forward and won a corner which the striker then headed against the bar, only for the rebound to fall kindly to Beevers who lashed home his fourth of the season from close range.

The Lions were dealt a blow early in the second-half, though, as Shaun Williams was forced off after taking what looked like a blow to the back; Ben Thompson his replacement on 50 minutes.

The young midfielder was instantly involved in the action, winning possession high up the pitch before having a shot blocked inside the area. He gained the loose ball but couldn't work another shooting angle and the move broke down.

Blackpool came close to an equaliser seconds later but two attempts from Brad Potts during a goalmouth scramble were bravely blocked by flying blue shirts on the six-yard line.

With the home side pushing for an equaliser The Lions were beginning to find space on the counter and it was from a quick attack that O'Brien had a chance to make it two, only to send a left-footed effort from close range wide of the near post having performed a clever turn inside his marker.

Harris brought on Fred Onyedinma for Gregory just after the hour mark and the young winger was quickly involved, dribbling infield from the right and shooting just wide of Colin Doyle's left-hand post.

Tangerines boss Neil McDonald made a double change with 20 minutes left to go, bringing on Jarrett Rivers and Kwame Thomas in an attempt to inject new impetus into his side's attacking play. But it was The Lions who remained the more likely to find the game's second goal, forcing a succession of corners which, to their credit, Blackpool dealt with well under increasing pressure from the home fans.

Ferguson, a regular threat down the left for Millwall, then had a chance to make it two after breaking into the box but saw Doyle get down low to deny him from a tight angle.

That turned out to be a key moment as Blackpool went straight up the other end to create the move which led to their equaliser. A ball from the right found its way to the far post where Norris nipped in front of Carlos Edwards - the last man - who was penalised for a push in the box and duly giving his marching orders from referee Nigel Miller. Striker Redshaw was giving the task of taking the penalty and smashed the spot-kick past Archer to level the game up with eight minutes to go.

But despite an aerial bombardment into Millwall's box during the closing stages, Blackpool couldn't find a second and so had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Blackpool: Doyle; White, Aldred, Robertson, Ferguson; Cameron (Osayi-Samuel, 46'), Norris, Potts, McAlister (Rivers, 68'); Redshaw, Cullen (Thomas, 68')

Subs not used: Letheren, Dunne, Cubero, Herron

Scorers: Redshaw 82' (pen)

Millwall: Archer; Edwards, Craig, Beevers, J.Martin; O'Brien, Saville, Williams (Thompson, 50'), Ferguson (Cummings, 83'); Gregory (Onyedinma, 63'), Morison

Subs not used: Forde, Webster, L.Martin, Pavey

Scorers: Beevers 35'

Bookings: J.Martin, Williams, Ferguson, Archer, Thompson

Red cards: Edwards   

Referee: Nigel Miller

Advertisement block